Expedite passports for Haj pilgrims, UP urges centreApril 11th, 2012 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 11 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh has asked the central government to expedite the process of issuing passports to Muslims seeking to go for Haj pilgrimage to Mecca.
In a letter written to union External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna, state minister Mohammad Azam Khan said his ministry should direct the regional passport offices in Uttar Pradesh to ensure timely issuance of passports to Haj pilgrims.
Khan pointed out that thousands of Muslims living in the state’s countryside go on Haj every year and have to go through a tedious and long process to get the Haj passport. The minister also complained that a number of applications for passports were pending in the passport offices in Lucknow, Ghaziabad and Bareilly.
The minister also mooted a ‘tatkal passport’ scheme for such Haj pilgrims so as to ensure that even last minute additions and poor people were able to undertake the pilgrimage.
- UP wants centre to increase Haj quota - May 15, 2012
- Raise UP's quota of Haj pilgrims: Akhilesh - Jun 21, 2012
- UP lodges cases against 176 fraudulent Haj applicants - Jul 09, 2012
- Preparations for Haj pilgrims on smooth track: Krishna - Aug 12, 2010
- Muslim clerics, leaders welcome apex court ruling on Haj (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Minority leaders cautious to apex court ruling on Haj - May 08, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Valid passports must for Indian Haj pilgrimage from 2012 - May 22, 2012
- Congress not serious about Muslims' welfare: Azam Khan - Aug 12, 2012
- Arrangements in place for Haj pilgrims: Civil aviation ministry - Sep 16, 2010
- 125,000 pilgrims to be covered under Haj subsidy - Jul 20, 2012
- Government to meet Muslim MPs on Haj facility reforms - Feb 24, 2011
- 16 Indian Haj pilgrims die in Saudi Arabia - Oct 14, 2011
- 19 Indian Haj pilgrims die in Saudi Arabia - Oct 15, 2011
- Seize Srinagar Haj travel operator's property: Probe team - Nov 26, 2011
Tags: azam khan, central government, countryside, external affairs minister, ghaziabad, haj pilgrims, krishna, lucknow, mecca, minute additions, mohammad, muslims, passports, pilgrimage to mecca, regional passport offices, state minister, tatkal passport, timely issuance