Ex-Tunisian president’s kin gets 18 years prisonNovember 26th, 2011 - 5:45 am ICT by IANS
Tunis, Nov 26 (IANS) A relative of former Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali has been sentenced to 18 years in prison over bounced cheques, the state media reported.
Imed Trabelsi, the nephew of Ben Ali’s wife, was also fined 150,000 dinars (about $100,000) by a court here, Xinhua reported quoting the state-run news agency TAP Friday.
Trabelsi, who is already in jail for other crimes, including drug possession, money laundering and embezzlement, has been on a hunger strike since Nov 8 to protest against, what he termed, “the absence of a fair trial”.
A Tunisian court had earlier issued international arrest warrants against Ben Ali’s wife Leila Trabelsi, and her elder brother Belhassen Trabelsi for their involvement in a cheating case.
Leila Trabelsi is allegedly living in Saudi Arabia where the former president and his family were given refuge, while her brother, a millionaire businessman, has fled to Canada.
- Nephew of Tunisia's ex-president jailed for drug abuse - May 08, 2011
- Tunisian ex-president's daughter awarded jail term - Oct 02, 2011
- Ben Ali's former advisor held in Tunis - Sep 04, 2012
- Tunisia reformation described a 'first Wikileaks revolution' - Jan 16, 2011
- Another jail term for self-exiled Tunisian president - Jul 05, 2011
- Tunisia's Ben Ali sentenced to 20 more years in jail - Jun 14, 2012
- Tunisian ousted President Ben Ali accused of plotting against national security - May 05, 2011
- Tunisian ex-president's trial postponed - Jul 22, 2011
- Ousted Tunisian president has prime assets in Canada: Report - Feb 20, 2011
- Tunisia may opt for government reshuffle - Jan 27, 2011
- Tunisian military court sentences Ben Ali in absentia - Jul 19, 2012
- Canada to throw out billionaire kin of Tunisia dictator - Jan 29, 2011
- Switzerland to help Tunisia recover Ben Ali's assets - Apr 19, 2011
- Ousted Tunisian president plans to write autobiography - Apr 22, 2011
- Tunisians call for Ben Ali's extradition - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: 18 years, arrest warrants, dinars, drug possession, elder brother, embezzlement, former president, hunger strike, leila trabelsi, living in saudi arabia, millionaire businessman, money laundering, nephew, news agency, run news, tunis, tunisian president, xinhua, zine el abidine, zine el abidine ben ali