Ex-servicemen meet president, demand pension parityMarch 10th, 2009 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Continuing their long-running fight for “one rank, one pension”, ex-soldiers have met President Pratibha Patil, the supreme commander of the armed forces, and reiterated their demand for pension parity.
A seven-member delegation of the Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement (IESM) submitted a memorandum in this regard to Patil late Monday evening.
“The president patiently listened to the delegation’s briefing on the demand and reasons behind it. We presented the memorandum requesting her intervention in the matter,” Maj Gen (Retd) Satbir Singh, who is vice chairman of IESM, told IANS Tuesday.
Several soldiers earlier returned their gallantry and distinguished services medals to the president to register their protest against the government’s continued apathy to their demand.
IESM is demanding that irrespective of the date on which a soldier retires, he should get equal pension at each rank for the same length of service with the amount rising every time there is a wage revision.
The ex-servicemen are upset at the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission, which did not address the “one rank, one pension” issue.
The government continues to reject the demand on administrative and financial grounds.
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Retired defence personnel demand hike in pension - Jul 11, 2010
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension - Mar 14, 2010
- Supreme commander of armed forces has no time for us: Ex-soldiers (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- PM has breached parliamentary propriety, says BJP - Mar 04, 2010
- Ex-soldiers protest 'government betrayal' - Mar 06, 2011
- Ex-servicemen return medals over pension equality - Oct 25, 2009
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- After bribe revelations, Army chief talks about army welfare - Mar 31, 2012
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Report on one rank one pension by month end: President - Jun 04, 2009
- Government accepts recommendations on ex-servicemen's pension - Mar 10, 2010
- Ex-servicemen hold protest demanding equal pension - Feb 21, 2009
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: apathy, armed forces, distinguished services, gallantry, medals, member delegation, memorandum, New Delhi, parity, president pratibha patil, protest, rank one, regard, soldier, supreme commander, vice chairman, wage revision