Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pensionMarch 14th, 2010 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 14 (IANS) Around 1,000 retired defence personnel Sunday gathered for a protest here and demanded “equal pension for each rank”.
Ex-servicemen from the three defence forces held the protest at Jantar Mantar and collected their gallantry medals. They plan to hand over the medals to President Pratibha Patil who is the supreme commander of the armed forces.
The soldiers will also submit a memorandum written with their blood to Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“We fought for the country without caring for our lives and are now compelled to fight another battle for our rights. We are demanding one rank one pension and as a protest are returning our honour that we won by putting our lives at take,” Commodore (Retd) Lokesh Batra said.
The main demand of the protesters is that irrespective of the date on which a soldier retires, he or she should get the same pension.
“We will continue our struggle peacefully and it is a shame for the country that soldiers have to return their gallantry awards and meritorious medals,” said another retired soldier who did not wish to be identified.
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Ex-servicemen hold protest demanding equal pension - Feb 21, 2009
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- Supreme commander of armed forces has no time for us: Ex-soldiers (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Retired defence personnel demand hike in pension - Jul 11, 2010
- Ex-servicemen return 7,500 gallantry medals over pension spat - Mar 14, 2009
- Ex-soldiers protest 'government betrayal' - Mar 06, 2011
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- Ex-serviceman files RTI plea over 'one rank one pension' issue - Feb 09, 2009
- Government rejects ex-soldiers' 'one rank one pension' plea - Feb 18, 2009
- Protesting war veterans return nine cartons of gallantry medals - Dec 09, 2009
- Hike in defence budget misleading: Experts - Jul 06, 2009
- Ex-servicemen return medals over pension equality - Oct 25, 2009
- Ex-servicemen meet president, demand pension parity - Mar 10, 2009
- Advani vows to address retired soldiers' grievances (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
Tags: batra, commodore, defence forces, gallantry awards, gallantry medals, honour, lokesh, manmohan, manmohan singh, mantar, memorandum, New Delhi, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, protesters, rank one, shame, soldier, supreme commander