Ex-MP Shahabuddin’s aide arrestedOctober 9th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 9 (IANS) An aide of Bihar’s jailed ex-MP Mohammad Shahabuddin was arrested here, police said Sunday, adding he had been on the run since 1998.
The aide, identified as Aftab Alam, 33, has more than 20 cases of serious crimes, including murder, attempt to murder, robbery, and kidnapping, lodged against him in Bihar.
“Evading arrest since 1998, Alam was arrested at Old Delhi Railway station on Oct 3. A 9mm pistol and four live cartridges were recovered from his possession,” said a police officer.
According to police, Alam began his criminal career in 1990 at the age of 14. In 1998-99, he became a close aide of Shahabuddin, at whose instance he committed the murders of Shahabuddin’s rivals.
In one such instance, Alam shot dead 11 people who were opposed to Shahabuddin in a land dispute in Mujahida village in Siwan.
“After the incarceration of Shahabuddin, the heat was turned on his associates by the police. In order to evade the police, Alam left Siwan in 2005 and settled in Chhattisgarh where he was working as a supervisor in a security firm. He used to come to Delhi to meet his acquaintances in Zakir Nagar here,” added the officer.
Shahabuddin, a four time MP from Siwan (1996-2008), is currently undergoing life imprisonment for kidnapping with intent to murder.
- Three get life term for former JNU student leader's murder - Mar 23, 2012
- Bihar seeks bail cancellation of 101 criminals - Jul 06, 2012
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Man held with ammunition outside Nitish meeting in Bihar - Jul 09, 2012
- Mobile phones seized from former MP in jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Man murders parents in Bihar - Mar 04, 2011
- Patna High Court dashes Shahabuddins hope to contest in Lok Sabha polls - Mar 24, 2009
- Is Nitish Kumar wooing tainted politicians for polls? - Jul 15, 2010
- Rajasthan nurse case: Key suspect in police custody - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoist wanted in Jharkhand held in Delhi (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Two held for kidnapping, killing lawyer's son - Nov 26, 2011
- Mobile phones seized from former RJD MP Shahabuddin in Siwan jail - Oct 22, 2010
- Bihar has dozens of candidates facing serious criminal charges - Apr 16, 2009
- Shahabuddin gets another 10-year term in jail - Sep 26, 2008
- Patna HC bars RJD MP Shahabuddin from contesting general elections - Mar 24, 2009
Tags: 9mm pistol, acquaintances, alam, bihar, chhattisgarh, criminal career, evading arrest, incarceration, land dispute, life imprisonment, mohammad, murder attempt, murders, old delhi, railway station, robbery, security firm, serious crimes, shahabuddin, siwan