Ex-member of rebel group held in MeghalayaFebruary 24th, 2012 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, Feb 23 (IANS) A former Meghalaya rebel was Thursday arrested along with seven aides for assault, intimidation and damage to private property, police said. He had laid down arms in 2007.
Julius K. Dorphang was earlier associated with the outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC).
“Dorphang and seven others were arrested this afternoon from Khliehriat based on police complaint filed against them for assault, intimidation and damage of private property,” Jaintia Hills district police chief O. Passi told IANS.
Khliehriat sub-division under the administrative control of Jaintia Hills, is about 80 km east of Shillong, the state capital of Meghalaya.
The seven others arrested are Mayborn Rapthap, Itjanai Soanes, Armstrong Batiar Herman Pakyntien, Richard Mawthoh, Ronnong Dohling and James Lyngwa.
Dorphang, the founder of the HNLC, surrendered before the Meghalaya government due to internal feud within the outfit in 2007.
The HNLC, a tribal Khasi separatist outfit that carries out hit-and-run operations from its hideouts in Bangladesh, has been demanding a sovereign Hynniewtrep homeland in east Meghalaya.
- Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- No hand in student leader's killing in Bangladesh: HNLC - May 13, 2010
- No compromise on sovereignty: Lyngdoh - Aug 29, 2012
- Top HNLC militant arrested in Meghalaya - May 08, 2010
- Ready for dialogue with outlawed group: Sangma - Aug 16, 2010
- Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC 'Raising Day' - Aug 08, 2012
- HNLC cadre arrested in Meghalaya - May 26, 2012
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- Meghalaya rebels turn culture cops, threaten police spies - Jul 23, 2012
- Nine separatist militants nabbed in Meghalaya - Jan 28, 2010
- One killed, nine injured in bomb blast in Meghalaya - Jul 12, 2012
- Four Indians convicted in Bangladesh were militants: Police - May 02, 2010
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- Talks with HNLC within constitution ambit: Meghalaya minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Hold talks with rebels, women's group tells Meghalaya - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: administrative control, aides, armstrong, bangladesh, district police, hideouts, internal feud, intimidation, jaintia hills, khasi, national liberation, passi, police chief, police complaint, private property, rebel group, shillong