Ex-Haryana top cop Rathore complains of chest painJune 6th, 2010 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 5 (IANS) Disgraced former Haryana police chief S.P.S. Rathore, who has been convicted of molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra and is currently lodged in Burail Jail here, is likely to be shifted to a premier city hospital after he complained of acute chest pain and breathlessness Saturday.
“Doctors from a government hospital had examined Rathore today (Saturday). Some of his reports have shown some complications and doctors have advised us to shift him to Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) so that he can be given adequate medical treatment,” Additional Inspector General (Prisons) N.P.S. Randhawa told IANS.
“However, Rathore does not want to go out of jail and he is refusing to go to any hospital. But we are trying to convince him to cooperate with us,” Randhawa said.
Rathore, 68, a former Haryana director general of police, has been convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika Girhotra in 1990 in neighbouring Panchkula town. She committed suicide three years later.
He was sentenced to 18 months rigorous imprisonment by the district and sessions court here May 25.
He is lodged in the high-security Burail jail here since May 25 and has to remain there till June 29 as his bail petition is pending in the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The next date of hearing is slated June 29.
Rathore’s wife and counsel Abha Rathore had May 26 filed a bail petition on medical grounds, saying that Rathore had undergone heart bypass surgery and required medical attention.
He was sent to jail after the court upheld his conviction in the molestation case by a CBI special court in December last year and enhanced his jail term to 18 months.
Rathore was initially sentenced to six months’ rigorous imprisonment and fined Rs.1,000 by the CBI special court. He was immediately granted bail then. Rathore filed a plea in January challenging his conviction.
- Rathore taken to hospital for tests; discharged - Jun 06, 2010
- Rathore's bail plea adjourned till June 29 - Jun 04, 2010
- Hearing adjourned on Rathore plea till Friday - Jul 01, 2010
- Rathore seeks bail from high court - May 26, 2010
- High court reserves decision on Rathore's revision petition - Aug 10, 2010
- Rathore's bail plea hearing adjourned to July 1 - Jun 29, 2010
- Rathore's bail plea adjourned till June 29 (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- Apex court sends notice to CBI in Ruchika case - Oct 01, 2010
- Court defers decision on Rathore's bail plea (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Apex court grants bail to Rathore in molestation case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Apex court may take up Rathore's bail plea - Oct 27, 2010
- Rathore's bail plea hearing adjourned till July 1 (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Complainant opposes Rathore's bail, seeks judicial probe - Nov 11, 2010
- Decision on Rathore's bail plea again deferred - Jun 03, 2010
- Rathore's bail plea hearing deferred till Wednesday - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: abha, acute chest pain, breathlessness, cbi, government hospital, graduate institute, haryana police, heart bypass surgery, high security, jail term, medical attention, medical education, medical grounds, molestation case, police chief, punjab and haryana high court, randhawa, rathore, rigorous imprisonment, sessions court