Ex-CWC official gets four-year jail term in graft caseAugust 17th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) A special court has awarded a four-year jail term to a senior official of the Central Water Commission (CWC) in a funds misappropriation case.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Dharmesh Sharma, in a recently pronounced order, awarded the jail term to former deputy director of CWC J.P. Sharma, for allegedly hatching a criminal conspiracy to appropriate government funds.
“In the totality of the facts and circumstances of the case, I sentence the convict Sharma to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of four years under section 420-B of the Indian Penal Code,” said the court.
The court also slapped a fine of Rs.75,000 on Sharma.
The court was hearing a case registered Nov 29, 2002, alleging that Sharma - with some of his family members and other officials - allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy and misappropriated funds of the government.
The court observed: “The accused adopted corrupt and illegal means in procuring 12 cheques from his department, which he got deposited in the account of his family members, withdrawing the amount and thereby deriving pecuniary benefit.”
The court acquitted the other accused.
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Former UP official gets bail in graft case - Aug 08, 2012
- CWG case: Bhanot, Verma's judicial custody extended - May 05, 2011
- Ex-army officer acquitted in graft case - Jul 24, 2012
- 2G case: Loss no prerequisite for prosecution, says court - Oct 22, 2011
- Document is best piece of evidence in proving facts: Court - Mar 09, 2012
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Two get life term for murder of Meerut university professor - Sep 23, 2011
- Highlights of judgment on Shivani Bhatnagar murder - Oct 12, 2011
- Court dismisses plea against Mukherjee - Jun 29, 2012
- Corruption major roadblock in India's development: Court - Mar 23, 2012
- Court charges AIIMS officials with corruption - Aug 27, 2012
- Sukh Ram's three-year jail term upheld in graft case (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- 2G accused denied bail: Highlights of court order - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, central water, cheques, circumstances, convict, criminal conspiracy, cwc, family members, former deputy director, government funds, graft case, indian penal code, jail term, New Delhi, rigorous imprisonment, special judge, totality, water commission