Evacuation of stranded cruise liner Mona Lisa begins(Lead)May 5th, 2008 - 11:42 pm ICT by admin
Riga (Latvia), May 5 (RIA Novosti) A luxury cruise liner, which ran aground in the Baltic Sea’s Irben Strait Sunday with 984 people on board, was being evacuated, the press service of the Latvian coastguard said Monday. Four tugs were used to try and pull the Mona Lisa free from a sandbank and a number of other measures also proved unsuccessful prompting a decision to evacuate the ship’s 657 passengers.
The passengers, mainly elderly Germans, are to be ferried to the port of Ventspils by Latvian naval vessels. There are no reports of any casualties.
The Mona Lisa is registered in the Bahamas. It has a crew of 327 and was on route from Poland’s Gdansk to Latvia’s Riga, when it ran aground 18 km off the coast of Latvia.
Latvian Defence Minister Vinets Veldre visited the Mona Lisa Sunday night and spoke to the captain of the liner, who according to the minister was to blame for the incident.
“The cause of the incident could be the captain’s decision to deviate from the set course so that passengers could take pictures against the background of the Irben lighthouse,” the minister said.
The Mona Lisa is 173 metres in length. It was constructed in 1966 and it ran aground nine times before.
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Young BMX rider dies after crash - Jul 01, 2012
- Baltic cruise ship runs aground off Latvia - May 05, 2008
- Latvia worried by Russian plan to buy French warship - Dec 10, 2009
- Latvian President dissolves parliament - May 29, 2011
- Toll in cruise ship accident off Italy rises to eight (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 29 missing in Italian cruise shipwreck - Jan 17, 2012
- Latvian Police search for escaped bear - Apr 23, 2012
- Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise liner - Jan 17, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Ilves to be sworn in as Estonia's president - Oct 10, 2011
- Swimmer drowns after being attacked by swan - Jul 22, 2010
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Putin-Mona Lisa' portrait sold for $300,000 - Oct 01, 2011
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012