European Commission president expresses solidarity with IndiaNovember 29th, 2008 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Nov 29, (IANS) While offering condolences to the government and the people of India for the terrible attacks they have suffered in Mumbai, the president of the the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso said Saturday that the efforts of the terrorists “must never prevail”. “(I offer my) sincerest thoughts of solidarity and condolence to the government and people of India for the terrible attacks they have suffered in Mumbai, and of course in particular to the victims and their families,” said Barroso while delivering a speech in Doha, Qatar, at a UN Conference on Financing for Development.
“The terrorists have hit out at the biggest democracy in the world, and they must understand that we will always stand together to oppose terror,” Barroso said.
“Those who act in such a barbarous manner must never prevail,” EuAsiaNews reported Barroso, a former prime minister of Portugal as saying. His speech was distributed to the press in Brussels today.
The European Commission is the executive body of the 27-member European Union.
- EU proposes $68 bn infrastructure package - Oct 20, 2011
- Russian president rejects EU criticism of Duma elections - Dec 16, 2011
- EU urges Greek government to fulfil commitments on debt crisis - Nov 11, 2011
- 'Fiscal tightening should avoid spending cut in innovation' - Dec 06, 2011
- EU condemns 'heinous' Mumbai attack - Jul 14, 2011
- Kashmiris to protest during Manmohan visit - Dec 09, 2010
- EU condemns terrorist attack in Delhi - Sep 08, 2011
- No Euro 2012 boycott, says Polish PM - May 25, 2012
- NATO secretary general condemns Mumbai attacks - Jul 15, 2011
- EU concerned over announced permanent customs controls in Denmark - May 14, 2011
- International community strongly condemns Moscow terror attack - Jan 25, 2011
- Stoning of Iranian woman 'barbaric': EU - Sep 08, 2010
- Europe shocked at Kaczynski plane-crash death - Apr 10, 2010
- Czech leader says more European integration 'fatally wrong' - Oct 09, 2011
- European Commission expresses shock over Jaipur bomb blasts - May 15, 2008