EU wants close ties with India’s IT sectorNovember 22nd, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Nov 22 (IANS) European Union (EU) Commissioner for Digital Agenda, Neelie Kroes, will embark on a three-day visit to India Wednesday to boost cooperation in the information and communication technology (ICT) sector.
“The EU and India enjoy a strong and deepening relationship. I am constantly amazed by India’s innovators and I want to salute the ambition of India’s ICT policies,” Kroes said.
“Projects like the Unique Identification Number database are a true inspiration. I want to make sure our respective sectors are as open to new forms of growth and partnership as possible,” EuAsiaNews quoted Kroes as saying in a statement Tuesday ahead of her visit.
She said she will meet India’s IT and commerce ministers, in addition to regulators and representatives of companies such as Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia Siemens Networks which have multi-billion euro stakes in the Indian ICT sector.
Her visit to India comes as crucial Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations take place ahead of the next EU-India summit in February 2012.
An ambitious FTA would deliver over four billion euros in benefits to the EU, including in the ICT and ICT-enabled sectors critical for economic growth, the statement noted.
- Kerala: Industry majors to support IT product start-ups village - Jul 23, 2012
- Percept Knorigin inks deal with Alcatel Lucent to provide digital content - Jun 01, 2011
- 'EU-India free trade top priority for Britain' - Nov 11, 2011
- Arun Seth named chairman of Alcatel-Lucent in India - Jul 06, 2011
- Top EU official to visit India - Jan 15, 2012
- German apex court ruling on EU debt will benefit India, says envoy - Sep 12, 2012
- P. Balaji new Nokia India vice president, managing director - Jul 13, 2012
- India should ensure investment safety: German envoy (Interview) - Aug 12, 2012
- EU-India free trade talks reach decisive moment: Official - Dec 09, 2010
- EU exports to India hit $28 bn - Sep 18, 2011
- Finland hopeful of EU-India trade agreement: Finnish minister - Oct 28, 2010
- India, EU firm up agenda for summit, discuss free trade - Jan 16, 2012
- Indian telecom industry grew 24 percent to top $24 bn: Survey - Jun 01, 2009
- India is EU's 9th major trading partner - Dec 09, 2010
- Apple Disparaged By China's Environmental Coalition, IPE, For Poor Standards Of Work Safety In Its Suppliers In China - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: alcatel, alcatel lucent, ambition, brussels, close ties, cooperation, digital agenda, economic growth, european union, free trade agreement, fta, information and communication technology, innovators, lucent, negotiations, nokia siemens networks, number database, regulators, sectors, true inspiration