EU to send delegation to Pakistan for talksDecember 5th, 2008 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Dec 5 (IANS) A Troika of EU ministers for foreign affairs will shortly be going to Islamabad with a view to stepping up political dialogue and strengthen relations with Pakistan, a diplomat from the EU presidency said in Brussels Friday. The diplomat, speaking on the condition of anonymity to EuAsiaNews, could not say when exactly the EU delegation will go and who will be part of the Troika. France currently holds the EU rotating presidency.
He said EU foreign ministers meeting here Monday will discuss ties with Pakistan and express the 27-member bloc’s readiness to strengthen its relations with Pakistan.
The European Commission, the EU’s executive body, will look into all ways to strengthening trade and commercial ties with Pakistan, he said.
The EU will continue to offer its support to Pakistan in the fight against terrorism and extremism, said the diplomat.
“The EU wishes to see constructive comments by the Pakistani president converted into concrete measures. We call on Pakistan to fully cooperate with India in the investigations into the recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai,” said the diplomat.
He, however, clarified that the EU is not going to mediate between India and Pakistan.
The EU foreign ministers are expected to issue a statement condemning the attacks which occurred in Mumbai Nov 26, and express the EU’s readiness to contribute to the fight against terrorism throughout South Asia.
- EU suggests 'bilateral track' to resolve India-Italy row - Mar 10, 2012
- Top EU official to visit India - Jan 15, 2012
- EU Troika-India to meet in Prague - Jun 26, 2009
- EU condemns 'heinous' Mumbai attack - Jul 14, 2011
- Pakistan to reopen supply routes to Afghanistan: Clinton (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- EU asked to set up larger embassies in India, Pakistan - Mar 06, 2010
- EU welcomes resumption of India-Pakistan talks - Jun 05, 2010
- EU seeks closer ties with Pakistan - Feb 09, 2012
- NATO secretary general condemns Mumbai attacks - Jul 15, 2011
- Pakistan seeks strategic dialogue with EU - Nov 25, 2011
- 2009 crucial for India to fight global challenges: EU - Jun 26, 2009
- EU welcomes India, Pakistan talks - Feb 26, 2010
- EU to sign pact on illegal immigrants with Pakistan - Feb 23, 2010
- EU likely to offer trade-linked aid to Pakistan - Sep 12, 2010
- NATO asks Pakistan to open transit routes - Apr 20, 2012