EU, South Korea to discuss free trade agreementApril 16th, 2008 - 1:31 pm ICT by admin
Seoul, April 16 (IANS) Officials from South Korea and the European Union (EU) would discuss a bilateral free trade agreement in Japan next week, Seoul’s chief negotiator for the talks has said. If implemented, the free trade pact would be the largest for South Korea, overtaking the agreement signed with the US, which is still under legislative review, WAM news agency reported Wednesday.
Auto tariff and auto-related technical standards, among other issues, are regarded as major hurdles for the agreement. Brussels wants Seoul to cut regulations for European carmakers by applying international standards instead of domestic rules.
The 27-nation economic bloc is demanding that South Korea cut tariffs on cars and other products to the same extent that it did in the trade deal with the US.
The EU is largest foreign investor in South Korea and its second-largest trading partner after China, with bilateral trade reaching $89.8 billion in 2007. Some unofficial studies suggest a free trade agreement would boost that figure by as much as 40 percent in the long run.
Currently, South Korea has free trade agreements with Chile, Singapore and the European Free Trade Association as well as a partial pact with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. It is also seeking similar trade deals with India, Canada and Mexico.
- EU and South Korea sign Free Trade Agreement - Oct 06, 2010
- South Korea, Turkey agree on free trade deal - Mar 26, 2012
- India, EU to discuss agenda for summit - Jan 13, 2012
- South Korean trade pact with India going into effect - Dec 31, 2009
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- South Korean Parliament ratifies free trade deal with India - Nov 06, 2009
- India, EU firm up agenda for summit, discuss free trade - Jan 16, 2012
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- Brazil sets auto export quotas for Mexico - Apr 05, 2012
- 'India not gaining from trade pact with South Korea' - Jun 24, 2011
- India, Malaysia implement trade pact - Jun 30, 2011
- India, South Korea sign trade pact - Aug 08, 2009
- India, Pakistan to soon ink customs cooperation deal - Sep 04, 2012
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- India, EU to expedite free trade talks - Feb 10, 2012