EU, Russia to resume talks on partnership pact soon: BarrosoNovember 14th, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Nice (France), Nov 14 (RIA Novosti) The European Union (EU) and Russia have agreed to restart talks on a new partnership and cooperation agreement, the head of the EU’s executive wing said Friday.The European Commission was ready to send a delegation to Moscow at the beginning of next year so that top level contacts could be resumed, Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission, said after an EU-Russia summit in the French resort city of Nice.
Attending the summit, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev hailed the end of the delay in the talks, which were frozen amid a diplomatic row caused by a five-day war between Russia and Georgia over breakaway South Ossetia in August.
Western powers were initially critical of Russia’s reaction to Georgia’s attack on the breakaway republic, but this stance has softened of late.
On Monday, the 27-nation European bloc said that talks on a partnership agreement would resume later this month, despite opposition from Lithuania.
“The conflict in Georgia has emphasised the crucial need for permanent political dialogue between the EU and the Russian Federation, while the global economic crisis has underlined once more the interdependence between the EU and Russian economies,” Barroso said before the summit.
- EU to re-start talks on deal with Russia - Nov 11, 2008
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia may aid in European debt relief efforts - Dec 15, 2011
- EU leaders gather to discuss market, Russia ties - Oct 15, 2008
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia plans to allow visa-free travel between Russia and the European Union - Oct 19, 2010
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Russian president rejects EU criticism of Duma elections - Dec 16, 2011
- Talks on Russia-EU cooperation pact to resume - Dec 02, 2008
- EU seeks free trade deal with India - Dec 08, 2010
- Sarkozy in Moscow to enforce Georgia ceasefire plan - Sep 08, 2008
- Russia's troop pull-out from Georgia not enough: EU - Oct 16, 2008
- Russia pledges 25 percent emissions cut by 2020 - Nov 19, 2009
- EU close to deal on restarting Russia talks - Nov 07, 2008
- 'Russia, US, EU may agree on common security deal' - Nov 12, 2008