EU releases 300 million euros in aid to PalestineMarch 25th, 2008 - 11:58 pm ICT by admin
Brussels, March 25 (Xinhua) The European Union has provided 300 million euros ($467 million) in aid to the Palestinians to help finance humanitarian activities and to carry out reform and development projects in violence-hit region, the European Commission announced here Tuesday. “I am very pleased that the European Commission is largely fulfilling its pledge for the Palestinians only three months after the Paris donor conference,” said Benita Ferrero-Waldner, Commissioner for External Relations and European Neighbourhood Policy.
“Once again this shows our strong commitment to support the Palestinian Authority (PA) in its quest for improving the lives of the Palestinian people toward a peace agreement with Israel,” she added.
Of the sum, about 176 million euros ($274 million) will be used to allow the “continued delivery of essential public services”, which is the highest priority of the PA.
The fund will help the PA meet its obligations towards civil employees, pensioners and vulnerable sectors of Palestinian society, as well as maintain the functioning of the administration and the provision of essential public services and utilities such as electricity.
The money will also help the PA clear its arrears to the private sector. All of these activities will support the people in Gaza as well as the West Bank, according to the commission.
About 14 million euros ($22 million) will be spent on institution building and 37 million ($58 million) will be used for public infrastructure programmes.
- EU, Russia sign pacts to develop border regions - Nov 19, 2009
- EU approves first package of €100 million in support of the Palestinian people - Dec 23, 2010
- EU offers over $138 mn in aid to Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- EU split over upgraded Israel relationship - Apr 27, 2009
- EU to send 100-member team to observe Afghan elections - Jul 13, 2009
- EU urges Russia to keep moratorium on death penalty - Nov 13, 2009
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- EU increases financial assistance to Pakistan - Mar 25, 2009
- UN report says Palestinian Authority ready for statehood - Apr 12, 2011
- EU's new anti-terror programme to focus on Afghanistan, Pakistan - Apr 18, 2009
- EU to give Pakistan over 100 million euros in aid (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- India, EU ink nuclear pact, to have trade treaty by 2010 - Nov 06, 2009
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israeli troops leave Gaza ahead of Obama inauguration - Jan 20, 2009
- EU increases aid to Pakistan - Dec 08, 2008