EU praises Myanmar over political reformsMarch 29th, 2012 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, March 29 (IANS) The European Union (EU) has praised the Myanmar government for “remarkable programme of political reform” in the country over the last year.
“The release of political prisoners, the continuing dialogue between the government and the opposition, including Aung San Suu Kyi, are all important positive developments, as is the ongoing effort to secure peace with armed ethnic groups and the commitment to economic reform,” EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in a statement.
She noted that the forthcoming by-elections in Myanmar April 1 are a key moment in national reconciliation and said the EU has decided to deploy a small team of experts to be present on election day, the EuAsiaNews reported Wednesday.
The EU expects these elections to take place according to internationally accepted standards, and that the authorities will take actions against serious violations, added Ashton.
Myanmar authorities had released pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi in 2010 after she had been under detention for over a decade.
Her release comes after the Union Solidarity and Development Party supported by the military won the country’s first election in 20 years the same year.
Nobel Peace Prize winner Suu Kyi heads the National League for Democracy (NLD) party that will now contest the upcoming elections.
- EU foreign policy chief meets with Burma's Suu Kyi - Apr 29, 2012
- Myanmar elections not free and fair: EU - Nov 08, 2010
- Suu Kyi's NLD to re-register - Nov 18, 2011
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on election win (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Myanmar recognises Suu Kyi's NLD as political party - Dec 13, 2011
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll win - Apr 03, 2012
- Myanmar holds landmark votes - Apr 01, 2012
- Myanmar votes to elect Suu Kyi (Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Obama meets Aung San Suu Kyi - Sep 20, 2012
- India hails Suu Kyi's release, hopes for political change - Nov 13, 2010
- Suu Kyi to visit Britain - Apr 18, 2012
- Manmohan meets Suu Kyi, hails India ties (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Suu Kyi told PM about `difficulties' - May 30, 2012
- Aung San Suu Kyi takes oath in Myanmar parliament (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Burmese state media threatens Suu Kyi with 'tragic end' over ending sanctions stance - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: ashton, aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, democracy leader, economic reform, election day, foreign policy, myanmar government, national reconciliation, nld, nobel peace prize, nobel peace prize winner, peace prize winner, policy chief, political prisoners, political reforms, san suu kyi, team of experts, union solidarity, upcoming elections