EU pays tribute to Mandela on his 90th birthdayJuly 18th, 2008 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, July 18 (DPA) The European Union (EU) Friday paid tributes to Nelson Mandela on his 90th birthday, with European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso describing the former South African president as a “source of inspiration for generations of Africans and world citizens”. “His life illustrates the power of the will, of courage, the power of freedom and also the force of reconciliation,” the head of the EU executive said.
Barroso’s remarks were echoed by president of European Parliament Hans-Gert Poettering, who called Mandela “a symbol of freedom and equality” and “an inspiration to defenders of human rights worldwide”.
Poettering said the example of reconciliation offered by the ageing leader could also inspire peace in conflict zones, such as the Middle East.
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- EU calls for stronger transatlantic ties under Obama - Jan 21, 2009
- EU proposes $68 bn infrastructure package - Oct 20, 2011
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- South African speaker toasts Mandela-Gandhi spirit - Jul 10, 2012
- Bikers ride with Mandela's message in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Fiscal tightening should avoid spending cut in innovation' - Dec 06, 2011
- Conservatives defeat socialists in European vote (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- EU urges Greek government to fulfil commitments on debt crisis - Nov 11, 2011
- EU concerned over announced permanent customs controls in Denmark - May 14, 2011
- Kashmiris to protest during Manmohan visit - Dec 09, 2010
- No Euro 2012 boycott, says Polish PM - May 25, 2012
- European Parliament gives Dalai Lama rapturous welcome - Dec 04, 2008
- Russian president rejects EU criticism of Duma elections - Dec 16, 2011
- Europe agrees to 1 trillion euro fund for new bailout plan - Oct 27, 2011