EU hails Libyan ambassador’s defection from Gaddafi regimeMay 27th, 2011 - 9:30 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 27 (IANS) The European Union (EU) has welcomed the decision by the Libyan Ambassador to the bloc “to sever links with the Gaddafi regime”, saying other senior officials of the regime should follow suit, Xinhua reported Friday.
Al Hadi Hadeiba, the Libyan ambassador to the EU and the Benelux, an economic union in western Europe, announced earlier Thursday his defection along with all his staff from the Tripoli government.
“We have been in contact with him (Al Hadi Hadeiba) and praise his courageous decision to work for a democratic Libya and a better future for the Libyan people,” EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton was quoted by her office.
She said the EU looked forward to remaining in close contact with Al Hadi Hadeiba.
Al Hadi Hadeiba is the latest high-profile official to defect from the Gaddafi-led government, after Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa turned against Tripoli and flew to Britain in March.
- Gaddafi envoy in Britain for secret talks on exit strategy - Apr 01, 2011
- Relatives demand UK to grill ex Libyan FM over Lockerbie bombing - Apr 01, 2011
- No deal of immunity struck between UK and Libya defector Mousa Koussa: William Hague - Apr 04, 2011
- 'Koussa knows nothing about Lockerbie bombing': Gaddafi's son - Apr 06, 2011
- International pressure builds on Gaddafi to quit - Mar 01, 2011
- Libya could become "new Somalia" if civil war breaks out: Koussa - Apr 12, 2011
- Gaddafi is a psychological wreck, says ex-Libyan Foreign Affairs Minister - Apr 02, 2011
- Libyan rebels refuse to talk to Koussa, accusing him of having 'blood on his hand' - Apr 14, 2011
- Libyan regime collapse could create 'tidal wave' of refugees to EU - Feb 22, 2011
- Scottish police questions Libyan defector Moussa Koussa over Lockerbie bombing - Apr 08, 2011
- Libyan leaders may face UN arrest for war crimes - May 04, 2011
- UN Security Council imposes sanctions, refers Libya to the International Criminal Court - Feb 27, 2011
- Italy calls on Gaddafi to surrender - Aug 22, 2011
- EU decides to withdraw all envoys to Belarus (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 29, 2012
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: ashton, benelux, better future, bloc, close contact, courageous decision, defection, economic union, european union, foreign minister, foreign policy, hadi, libya, libyan ambassador, policy chief, regime, senior officials, tripoli, western europe, xinhua