EU congratulates Nepal for ‘landmark’ pollsApril 12th, 2008 - 8:07 pm ICT by admin
Brussels, April 12 (IANS) The European Union (EU) Saturday congratulated the Nepalese people for their “strong commitment to the democratic process in their country”, EuAsiaNews reported. “I encourage everybody to remain calm and patiently await the election results. These landmark elections will hopefully close a very painful chapter in the country’s history and will constitute the first step in Nepal’s process to restore a representative and vibrant democracy in the country,” Benita Ferrero-Waldner, European Commissioner for External Relations and European Neighbourhood, said in a statement.
The European Commission, the EU’s executive body, said that Thursday’s election was “generally calm, orderly and well-organised”.
It noted with satisfaction that despite a rather tense pre-electoral climate the elections registered a high turnout of voters.
The EU has deployed an Election Observation Mission (EOM) to Nepal, led by a member of the European Parliament, Jan Mulder.
The EU EOM deployed 120 observers from 22 EU member states as well as from Norway and Switzerland throughout Nepal to observe and assess the electoral process, in accordance with international standards for elections as well as the laws of Nepal.
The EOM will stay on the ground until mid-May to observe the post-election developments and the tabulation of results.
The EU EOM will publish a final report covering the elections and containing recommendations on the electoral process in the next few months.
- EU Commissioner praises elections in Nepal - Apr 15, 2008
- EU to send 100-member team to observe Afghan elections - Jul 13, 2009
- EU to send election observers to Nepal - Mar 15, 2008
- European Union to send 110 observers to monitor Nepal polls - Mar 15, 2008
- EU urges Russia to keep moratorium on death penalty - Nov 13, 2009
- EU, Russia sign pacts to develop border regions - Nov 19, 2009
- EU: Sudan referendum voting 'smooth and calm' so far - Jan 13, 2011
- EU Troika-India to meet in Prague - Jun 26, 2009
- 2009 crucial for India to fight global challenges: EU - Jun 26, 2009
- EU's new anti-terror programme to focus on Afghanistan, Pakistan - Apr 18, 2009
- Unesco fails again to elect new head - Sep 19, 2009
- No new Unesco head after first round of voting - Sep 18, 2009
- EU foreign ministers call on Tehran to clarify result - Jun 15, 2009
- India seeks global initiatives for energy security - Jun 18, 2009
- EU to finalize plans for cooperation with US - Nov 03, 2008