EU commissioner calls for normalising ties with CubaMay 27th, 2008 - 11:14 pm ICT by admin
Brussels, May 27 (IANS) The European Commissioner for development and humanitarian aid has called for “normalisation” of relations between the European Union (EU) and Cuba, arguing that European public opinion had “real expectations” on this issue, EFE news agency reported Tuesday. Louis Michel, who participated in a debate in the European Parliament Monday, insisted on the need to call off the sanctions imposed on Cuba in 2003 and suspended two years later if there was a desire to “move ahead in the dialogue”.
The commissioner said he had always opposed sanctions as a matter of “principle”, adding that no examples existed of such measures having a positive effect.
The EU members plan to review policy towards Cuba in June, as they do periodically.
Since 2005, the EU has kept open an offer of two-pronged dialogue with Cuban authorities and the island’s dissidents.
In recent months, leftist groups in the European Parliament have called for an end to the sanctions, a demand the Cuban government has also made.
Michel criticized the fact that the Cuban regime was at times judged more harshly than other countries with worse situations, a statement that was seconded by Spanish centre-right Eurodeputy Ignasi Guardans, who denounced the EU’s “hypocrisy”.
- EU urges Cuba to carry out democratic reforms - Nov 06, 2009
- Human rights key to review of Cuba ties: EU - May 14, 2009
- Free political prisoners, Spain tells Cuba - Feb 26, 2010
- Cuba, EU to boost cooperation, political dialogue - Mar 20, 2009
- EU, Cuba ties thaw, aid flow resumes - Oct 24, 2008
- EU to allow Myanmar to export goods at discount - Apr 19, 2012
- Greece votes in parliamentary elections (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- EU decides to withdraw all envoys to Belarus (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 29, 2012
- Turkey to hold political dialogue with EU - Jun 07, 2012
- New EU anti-terrorist body will be 'like KGB' - Apr 02, 2011
- EU concerned over announced permanent customs controls in Denmark - May 14, 2011
- European Parliament calls for sanctions against Iran's human rights abuses - Feb 02, 2011
- China must allow currency revaluation: EU official - Jan 12, 2010
- Spain seeks human rights commitment from Cuba - Feb 16, 2010
- Bring Mumbai attackers to justice: EU to Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010