EU approves possible military operation for LibyaApril 2nd, 2011 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, April 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The European Council Friday approved the decision to mount an EU military operation to support humanitarian efforts in Libya.
“The EU will, if requested by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), conduct a military operation in…order to support humanitarian assistance in the region,” the council statement read.
“The aim of the operation would be to contribute to the safe movement and evacuation of displaced persons and to support the humanitarian agencies in their activities with specific capabilities,” it said.
EUFOR Libya can only be deployed if the council adopts another decision approving the force’s terms of engagement, the statement added.
The Libyan political crisis, which evolved into military clashes between opponents and supporters of the country’s longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi, began in mid-February. The conflict has already left thousands of people dead and forced many more to flee the country.
UN Security Council Resolution 1973, adopted March 17, imposed a no-fly zone over Libya and authorized measures to protect civilians from Gaddafi’s forces, but stopped short of authorizing ground operations in the North African country.
- Libyan rebels sell weapons to Al Qaeda: Report - Apr 03, 2011
- Moscow alarmed over NATO's disproportionate use of force in Libya - Jun 05, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council to discuss conflict settlement in Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- Western forces breaching UN resolution on Libya: Russian envoy - Apr 18, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Gaddafi warns of ending cooperation with EU - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan freezes $4.4 bn worth of Gaddafi regime assets - Jun 04, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- US Congress votes against military campaign in Libya - Jun 25, 2011
- Medvedev rebuts Putin over Libya (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Chavez sends letter to Gaddafi wishing him victory - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,