EU agrees to start visa-free talks with USApril 19th, 2008 - 12:46 am ICT by admin
Luxembourg, April 18 (DPA) EU interior ministers agreed Friday to let the bloc launch talks on visa-free travel with the US, almost two months after seven member states broke ranks by signing their own deals with Washington. The decision authorises the EU’s executive body, the European Commission, to begin talks with the US government on behalf of member states. A team from the commission’s justice department is due to visit Washington early next week, the commissioner who currently heads the department, Jacques Barrot said.
The visit shows the commission’s “strong will to end the injustice that implies that there are two categories of EU citizens” those who merit visa-free travel to the US visa and those who do not, he said.
The aim of the talks is to provide visa-free travel to the US for all EU citizens while satisfying US demands for security information on passengers.
Restrictions on travel to the US have been a political problem in the EU ever since its enlargement to take in 10 new members, mainly from central and eastern Europe in 2004, and the subsequent accession of Romania and Bulgaria in 2007.
At present, EU citizens from all of the older member states, with the exception of Greece, do not need a visa to enter the US.
On Feb 26, the Czech Republic signed a bilateral deal with the US paving the way for eventual visa-free status in return for security information on the passengers carried. Six other states subsequently signed similar deals.
But commission officials warned that such moves could run the risk of breaching EU rules, since some of the information in question was the preserve of the EU as a whole, and individual member states did not have the right to issue it.
- EU approves visa-free travel for Albanians and Bosnians - Nov 08, 2010
- Russia ready to restore diplomatic ties with Georgia - Mar 03, 2012
- EU to introduce streamlined Schengen visa system - Mar 30, 2010
- EU brings common visa code for Schengen zone travellers - Apr 06, 2010
- India, Pakistan MPs moot new CBMs; discuss Assam, SMSs (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Beijing considering limited visa-free stay - May 28, 2012
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- European Union, Libya, end visa strife - Mar 28, 2010
- European Union concludes visa agreements with Georgia - Jan 19, 2011
- Russia plans to allow visa-free travel between Russia and the European Union - Oct 19, 2010
- EU signs visa waiver pacts with six countries - May 29, 2009
- EU ministers agree to ease air restrictions Tuesday - Apr 20, 2010
- EU to quadruple aid to Belarusian society - Feb 03, 2011
- EU adopts new rules on airport body scanners - Nov 15, 2011