Ethnic Serbs seize court in KosovoMarch 14th, 2008 - 11:42 pm ICT by admin
Pristina, March 14 (Xinhua) A group of ethnic Serbs Friday broke into the closed Mitrovica district court in northern Kosovo, which had been under the control of the UN mission known as UNMIK since 1999, the police said. “UNMIK police units did their best to stop (the crowd), but protesters put women in the front line, and hurled stones and metal bars from the background,” said Bekim Hoti, spokesman for the Kosovo Police Service (KPS).
Supported by hundreds of local residents, former court workers broke into the UN court, which was closed after Kosovo’s unilateral declaration of independence Feb 17.
Since then, Serb employees working before 1999 have been protesting demanding the court be reopened.
Police officials said they were awaiting a political solution to the problem.
Serb workers’ representative Miodrag Ralic said the situation is a result of a failure to find a solution in the negotiations with UNMIK representatives.
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- 'New Kosovo government undermining UN authority' - Jul 26, 2008
- Serb protesters storm Kosovo court, UN intervenes - Mar 15, 2008
- UN calls on Serbia to stop interfering in Kosovo - Mar 13, 2008
- Kosovo passes new constitution amid uncertainty over its future - Jun 16, 2008
- Exhumation of alleged mass grave begins in Kosovo - Sep 02, 2010
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Kosovans' mass grave found in Macedonia - Jun 16, 2010
- UN police in Kosovo raid court occupied by Serbs, 53 arrested - Mar 17, 2008
- EU welcomes establishment of new government in Kosovo - Feb 24, 2011
- India to focus on UN peacekeeping during presidency - Aug 03, 2011
- China calls for dialogue in solving Kosovo issue - Aug 22, 2012
- Germany, India steadfast partners: Ambassador-designate - May 15, 2012
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009