Estranged wife of golf player Ashok Kumar seeks justiceJune 24th, 2008 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 24 (IANS) Anita Devi, the estranged wife of caddie turned international golf player Ashok Kumar, has claimed that she is facing a threat to her life after she filed a dowry case against him in a Bihar court, the police said Tuesday. Anita, in her late 20s and mother of a three-and-half-year-old child, claimed that Ashok threatened to eliminate her.
“He threatened to kill me and warned that he has enough money to get rid of me. After that I have been living under a shadow of fear,” said Anita Devi in a petition filed before the senior divisional officer of Samastipur district.
Ashok, 27, was born in a poor family of carpenters at Mokhiyarpur Salkhani village in Samastipur district, about 100 km from here. His rise is a rags-to-riches story in Indian golf as Ashok has never been to school. He was India’s national amateur No.1 from 1999 till 2001.
Anita lodged a dowry case against Ashok in the court of chief judicial magistrate at Dalsinghsarai in Samastipur in November 2007.
After she filed the case against Ashok, the court issued summons to him. He appeared before the court in April this year.
He filed an interim bail petition in the court of the district judge. In his petition Ashok said that he was ready to look after his wife and give her honour and protection.
But Ashok also filed another petition against his elder brother and sister-in-law in the court of sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) Dalsinghsarai.
In this petition Ashok alleged that his brother and sister-in-law were behind the case lodged by Anita Devi to blackmail him.
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- BSP legislator among 5 booked in Etawah rape, suicide case - Jan 28, 2011
- A judge couple gets divorced - Apr 02, 2012
- Complaint against Gehlot for 'inaction' in Bhanwari case - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Rajasthan Police arrested man on false charge' - Apr 12, 2012
- At 75, she wants her dowry back - Jun 03, 2011
- Court issues notice to Rajasthan BJP legislator - Jul 05, 2012
- Missing nurse case: CBI to file report in court Nov 24 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- CBI seeks access to audio clips of missing nurse - Dec 01, 2011
- CBI seeks more time to probe missing nurse case - Nov 24, 2011
- Missing nurse case: Court extends Maderna's custody - Dec 24, 2011
- Dumb woman killed, body chopped in Bihar - Apr 17, 2012
- Case against Ramdev: Court asks police to file reply (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- School principal beaten to death over land in Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Plea against legislator's 'kangaroo court' dismissed (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011