Escaped accused in Tiku murder case caught (Lead)April 11th, 2012 - 10:11 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 11 (IANS) Vijay Palande, prime accused in the Arun Tikku murder case, who fled police custody Tuesday night, was caught again early Wednesday, an official said.
Palande, one of the accused in the case along with Dhananjay Shinde, Manoj Gajkosh and small-time actor Anuj Tikku (son of the victim), were detained for the killing of Delhi-based businessman Arun Tikku (67) in Mumbai last Saturday, from different parts of the state.
However, in a major embarrassment, Palande Tuesday night escaped from police custody hours after he was arrested by the Mumbai police from Satara in western Maharashtra.
Police sealed all exit points and launched a manhunt for Palande and finally succeeded in catching him again from the western suburbs, around 2 a.m., the official said, declining to give details.
Palande reportedly jumped over a compound wall and fled when he was being shifted from a vehicle to the crime branch lock-up in Andheri east.
It is not clear if Palande was tied, handcuffed or his face covered at the time of the incident and whether other protocols were followed, or why the cops accompanying him did not give a chase as he fled.
A top official said that the trio, who had links with the mafia don Santosh Shetty gang, shall be presented before the court Wednesday.
Palande, a businessman engaged in import-export of garments, is married to a German woman, who had gone to her home country for some work when the murder was committed. He had come in contact with Shetty during his business trips to Bangkok, the official said.
Top police officials are expected to make a formal statement with regard to Palande incident, perceived as a serious security lapse, later in the day.
- Palande, three others charge-sheeted in Tikku murder case - Jul 06, 2012
- Tikku killer accused of other murders along with wife - Apr 18, 2012
- Three held for elderly man's murder - Apr 10, 2012
- Tikku murder accused escapes police custody - Apr 11, 2012
- Bollywood actor detained for father's murder - Apr 10, 2012
- No plan to reopen Viveka Babajee case, says family (With Image) - Apr 24, 2012
- Crimes in showbiz: Who's to blame? - Apr 23, 2012
- Police remand for former Chhota Rajan aide - Aug 12, 2011
- Arun Gawli, 11 others convicted for Sena leader's murder - Aug 24, 2012
- 13 Mumbai college-goers kill friend - Apr 19, 2012
- Woman, employee held for murdering husband - Apr 12, 2011
- Activist's killing: Eight cops to undergo polygraph test - May 02, 2012
- Businessman shot dead in Maharashtra - Jun 20, 2011
- Assam businessman killed, another abducted in Meghalaya - Aug 08, 2012
- Minor collision between two Mumbai trains, no casualties - Jun 17, 2012