Erectile dysfunction warns of early heart attackOctober 22nd, 2008 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 22 (IANS) Erectile dysfunction is linked with heart attacks but it is being ignored by general practitioners, a doctor with Good Hope Hospital in Birmingham has warned.Dr Geoffrey Hackett reported regularly seeing patients referred with erectile dysfunction or ED after a heart attack, only to hear that they had developed erectile dysfunction two to three years before - a warning sign ignored by their general practitioners.
It is well known that ED (inability to achieve erection) doubles the risk of heart disease, a risk equivalent to being a moderate smoker or having an immediate family history of heart disease.
ED in type 2 diabetes has been shown to be a better predictor of the risk of heart disease than high blood pressure or high cholesterol, according to an Eurekalert release.
But despite this considerable evidence ED is still treated as a recreational or “lifestyle issue” rather than a predictor of a serious health problem, said Hackett.
The UK government has pledged to reduce the death rate from coronary heart disease and stroke and related diseases in people under 75 by at least 40 percent by 2010, yet there is no screening for erectile dysfunction in patients with diabetes or heart disease, he said.
The report was published in the British Medical Journal.
- Erectile dysfunction gives early warning of a heart attack - Oct 22, 2008
- Erectile dysfunction can cause heart attack! - Jun 14, 2010
- Staggering 26 pct of Chinese men suffer from erectile dysfunction - Jul 12, 2010
- Erectile dysfunction a sign of heart disease: Study - Jun 21, 2010
- Viagra 'doesn't work for men with low testosterone' - Sep 25, 2010
- Link between erectile dysfunction and heart disease - Jun 02, 2010
- Erectile dysfunction may lead to heart disease - Jun 21, 2010
- The secret to longer-lasting sex lies in your arteries - Dec 01, 2010
- NSAID use linked to increased risk of erectile dysfunction - Mar 03, 2011
- Viagra no good for men with low testosterone levels - Sep 28, 2010
- Study links impotence to heart risk - May 20, 2010
- Beware! Impotence could wreck your heart - May 20, 2010
- ECG can also predict heart attacks - Apr 11, 2012
- Obesity leads to erectile dysfunction - Aug 25, 2009
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011