Equity markets suffer huge loss by early afternoon (Lead)August 21st, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 21 (IANS) Indian equity markets fell steeply by early Thursday afternoon after opening in the red. There was heavy selling pressure on realty, banking and PSU stocks.At 1:20 p.m., the 30-share benchmark index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the Sensex, was at 14,366.04 points, down 312.19 points or 2.13 percent from its closing figure Wednesday. It had touched a low of 14,357.76 earlier Thursday.
At the same time the broader based S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange was down by 104.35 points or 2.36 percent at 4,311.40.
The market breadth was negative. On BSE, 778 shares advanced, 1,657 declined and 76 remained unchanged.
- Sensex closes 71 points down, FMCG, metal stocks plummet (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 51 points higher as August derivatives end (Roundup) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex up 105 points in morning trade - Jun 10, 2010
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 488 points higher (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Sensex rebounds 101 points; banking stocks climb - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex rises 31 points; oil and gas, PSU stocks up - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex rises ahead of budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex ruling flat in early trade - Oct 26, 2010
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex dull in morning trade - Oct 08, 2010
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes with marginal loss (Second Lead) - Dec 07, 2010