Equity markets start in the red againSeptember 10th, 2008 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 10 (IANS) Indian equity markets, which opened lower Wednesday, stayed in the red in early trade. Metal, banking, pharma and capital goods stocks were under selling pressure. The 30-share benchmark index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the Sensex, opened with a loss of 183.23 points at 14,717.53. Fifteen minutes into trading, it was at 14,779.03 points, 121.73 points or 0.82 percent below its closing figure Tuesday.
At the same time the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange was trading at 4,428.25 with a loss of 40.45 points or 0.91 percent from its previous close.
The market breadth was negative. On BSE, 724 shares advanced, 879 declined and 66 remained unchanged.
Ranbaxy, Wipro and DLF Ltd were among the gainers while Sterlite, ICICI Bank and Reliance Industries were among the losers in initial trade.
Other Asian markets were also trading lower.
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on reforms worries (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2012
- Sensex ruling moderately higher as rate cut hopes fade - Mar 12, 2012
- Sensex slips in early trade - Nov 30, 2010
- Sensex range-bound, broader indices see more selling (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex rises, capital goods, metal and IT stocks buying picks up - May 15, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex at seven-month high, closes 139 points higher (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Sensex rises 75 points; FMCG, consumer durables up (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex recovers initial losses, trading flat (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex falls 86 points on profit booking - Jun 08, 2012
- Indian equities markets dull amid negative Asian cues - Apr 19, 2011
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012