Equity markets start in the redSeptember 1st, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 1(IANS) Indian equity markets, which opened lower Monday following weak global cues, were in the red in early trade. Banking, auto and pharma stocks were under selling pressure. The 30-share benchmark index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the Sensex, opened with a loss of 151.54 points at 14,412.99. Twenty minutes into trading, it was at 14,456.61 points, 107.92 points or 0.74 percent below its clsoing figure Friday.
At the same time the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange was trading at 4,335.70 with a loss of 24.30 points or 0.56 percent from its previous close.
The market breadth was negative. On BSE, 867 shares advanced, 947 declined and 73 remained unchanged.
Satyam Computers, Reliance Industries and ACC Ltd were among the gainers while Tata Motors, Ranbaxy Ltd and ICICI Bank were among the losers in initial trade.
Other Asian markets were also trading lower.
- Sensex closes 133 points lower, RIL weighs heavy (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Sensex weak, IT, capital goods under selling pressure - Mar 19, 2012
- Indian equities markets down, Sensex edges lower (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2011
- Sensex rises in afternoon trade, capital goods scrips lead - Mar 21, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex weak in morning trade - Jan 14, 2011
- Sensex 0.5 percent down in choppy trade - Dec 29, 2011
- Sensex closes 111 points lower (Second Lead) - Oct 20, 2010
- Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex quiet in morning trade - Jan 04, 2012
- Sensex 80 points high on strong global cues - Sep 06, 2012
- Sensex slumps 4.56 percent on global turmoil (Weekly market review) - Sep 24, 2011
- Sensex down 73 points in volatile trade - Oct 31, 2011
- Sensex slips into red as IT stocks fall - Jan 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012