Equity markets post losses for second week in row (Weekly Market Review)August 23rd, 2008 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 23 (IANS) The Indian equities market registered losses for the second straight week on the back of weak global sentiment and increase in crude oil prices. Rate sensitive sectors like banking, real estate were under selling pressure throughout the week.
The 30-share benchmark Bombay Stock Exchange Sensitive Index (Sensex) fell 322.69 points or 2.19 percent to 14,401.40 during the week. The National Stock Exchange benchmark S&P Nifty declined 103.25 points or 2.33 percent to 4,327.45 during the week.
The BSE Mid cap index fell 96.57 points or 1.66 percent to 5,726.85 during the week. The BSE Small cap index slipped 184.59 points or 2.60 percent to 6,925.85 during the week.
Inflation touched 12.63 percent point-to-point basis in the week ending August 2008, above the previous week’s 12.44 percent, government data released on Aug 21 showed.
“The F&O August series expiry next week and inflation will weigh on market sentiments. Performance is likely to be sideways with downward bias,” said research head of Khandwal Securties, Ashok Jainani.
On the first trading day of the week, the Sensex lost 78.52 points or 0.53 percent to 14,645.66. The S&P Nifty lost 37.65 points or 0.85 percent to 4,393.05.
On Tuesday, the Sensex lost 101.93 points or 0.7 percent to 14,543.73. The S&P Nifty was down 24.80 points or 0.56 percent to 4,393.05.
The market posted gains Wednesday, snapping its five day losing streak. The BSE Sensex rose 134.50 points or 0.7 percent to 14,543.73. The S&P Nifty rose 47.50 points or 1.09 percent to 4,415.75.
Ahead of the weekly inflation data, the Sensex Thursday lost 434.50 points or 2.96 percent and fell to 14,243.73. The S&P Nifty went down by 131.90 points or 2.99 percent to 4,283.85.
The Sensex Friday again recovered some ground by gaining 157.76 points or 1.11 percent to move up to 14,401.49. The S&P Nifty gained 43,60 points or 1.02 percent at 4327.45.
World’s sixth largest steel maker Tata Steel fell 3.53 to Rs.594.45 in the week.
Reliance Industries fell 1.30 percent to Rs.2,245.65. The Bombay High Court on Thursday, Aug 21, suggested that the warring Ambani brothers go back to their mother Kokilaben and have the dispute settled.
India’s largest commercial bank State Bank of India fell 7.86 percent to Rs.1,346.25.
India’s largest private sector bank by net profit ICICI Bank fell 4.27 percent to Rs. 644.50.
- Sensex rises 439.22 points; bank, metal stocks up - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex slips sharply in afternoon trade - Dec 16, 2011
- Sensex dips 184 points; capital goods, energy stocks slump (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex 80 points high on strong global cues - Sep 06, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex tanks 77 points; metal, auto, power stocks hit (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 64 points on rate cut hopes - Jun 12, 2012
- Sensex plunges 425 points to end below 16,000 points - Nov 21, 2011
- Sensex closes 238 points lower (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; metal, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 243.45 points lower (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex falls below 17,000 points (Lead) - May 04, 2012