Equities open higher, stay in green despite volatilityDecember 4th, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 4 (IANS) Indian equities markets opened higher Thursday and despite showing some volatility in a narrow range were still in the green one hour into trading on positive global cues, analysts said.Some one hour into trading, the 30-share sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was ruling at 8,799.28, up 51.85 points or 0.59 percent from its previous close Wednesday at 8,747.43 points.
The Sensex opened some 32 points higher at 8,779.02 points.
The broader-based 50-share S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), also opened higher and was ruling at 2676.55, up 20.1 points or 0.76 percent from its previous close Wednesday at 2656.45 points.
The BSE midcap index was ruling at 2,851.96, up 21.37 points or 0.75 percent from its previous close Wednesday at 2,830.59 points.
The BSE smallcap index was ruling at 3,285.88, up 20.78 points or 0.64 percent from its previous close at 3,265.10 points.
Overnight US markets closed in the green with a key index of the New York Stock Exchange finishing 1.82 percent higher. The Nasdaq index closed 2.94 percent higher than its previous close Tuesday.
Asian markets were mixed with the Nikkei, key index of the Tokyo Stock Exchange showing losses of 1.22 percent but the Hang Seng, key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange showing gains of 0.67 percent.
The market is directionless and will continue to show volatility within a narrow range, analysts said.
- Sensex in see-saw trade, consumer durables, realty stocks up - Mar 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 64 points up (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Sensex in red in afternoon trade, consumer durables slip - Mar 28, 2012
- Equities surge, Sensex up 280 points to cross 9,000 (Lead) - Dec 04, 2008
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex down 73 points in volatile trade - Oct 31, 2011
- Sensex rebounds 101 points; banking stocks climb - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex ruling moderately higher as rate cut hopes fade - Mar 12, 2012
- Sensex volatile in morning trade - Nov 24, 2010
- Sensex creeps up but wobbly - Mar 02, 2012
- Sensex off morning highs in volatile trade - Jun 01, 2011
- Sensex volatile in early trade - Jun 09, 2010
- Sensex rises 149 points on positive European cues - Sep 06, 2011
- Sensex weak, IT, capital goods under selling pressure - Mar 19, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains, but slips from 18,000 - Feb 29, 2012