Equities markets close marginally lower (Roundup)December 11th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 11 (IANS) Despite inflation rate cooling off, Indian equities markets Thursday could not sustain the rally that started Monday and a key index closed 9.44 points or 0.1 percent lower than its previous close.The 30-share sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) closed at 9,645.46 points, down from 9,654.9 points of its previous close.
IT stocks were the biggest losers during the trade with the BSE sectoral index for tech shares falling 3.9 points.
Among major losers in the IT sector was Tata Consultancy Services Ltd, which closed 6.24 percent or Rs.33.8 lower at Rs.541.45. Satyam Computers was the next bigger loser, down Rs.12.25 at Rs.236.60.
The broader-based 50-share S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) fell 0.28 percent or 8.1 points to shut shop at 2,920 points.
However, the BSE midcap index went up 1.86 percent or 54.84 points to close at 3,003.08 points, while the BSE smallcap index rose 1.42 percent or 48.14 points to close the day at 3,443.59 points.
Similar to Wednesday’s trend, realty, oil and gas and metal stocks drove growth, while a host of other sectors like consumer durables pulled it down.
“It was a choppy market with some profit booking happening at the end of the two day’s of gains,” a leading investment advisor said.
Asian markets that were trading at levels lower than the previous day’s close, went up with the Nikkei, key index of the Tokyo Stock Exchange ruling 0.7 percent or 59.6 points lower.
The Hang Seng, key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was up 0.23 percent or 36.16 points.
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex 52 points up; IT, power stocks high (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex edges lower for the second day in choppy trade (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex holds on to gains broader indices flat (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Sensex rises 31 points; oil and gas, PSU stocks up - Sep 13, 2012
- After rate hike, Sensex continues downtrend (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2011
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 243.45 points lower (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Late sell-off pulls down Sensex - Aug 24, 2011
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012