Environment clearance of 93 Goa mines suspendedSeptember 12th, 2012 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 12 (IANS) The union environment ministry Wednesday suspended the clearance of 93 mines in Goa on account of companies flouting forest laws, officials said.
“The ministry has suspended clearance of all 93 mines and the companies will have to submit all required documents for getting environment clearance afresh,” Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan told reporters here.
The suspension comes after the Justice M.B. Shah Commission report, which was tabled in parliament Friday, said that Goa’s iron ore mining scam was worth nearly Rs.35,000 crore.
Justice Shah in his report also indicted the Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM), the union ministry for environment and forests (MoEF), state directorate of mines, the state forest department and the Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) for the illegal mining. The report says illegal mining was spread over 500 hectares of area, several hundred acres of which was forest and government-owned land.
The voluminous report holds the state government and central government agencies party to the scam, along with the powerful mining operators here, who, according to Justice Shah, plundered natural resources and facilitated an “unrestricted, unchecked and unregulated export of iron ore to China”, which made the exporters of ore “richer and richer”.
The report says that forest laws were completely flouted by the mining companies and even mines which were illegally functioning in forest areas were not stopped by government authorities.
“All mining activities should be stopped with immediate effect, including transportation for all mining leases where there is no approval or clearance of the Standing Committee of NBWL (National Board of Wild Life) and are falling within 10 km of eco-sensitive buffer zone,” Shah has recommended.
- Environment clearance of 93 Goa mines suspended (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Commission pegs Goa mining scam at Rs 34,935 crore, BJP wants Kamat booked (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Goa mining scam worth Rs 34,935 crore: Justice Shah Commission - Sep 07, 2012
- Should I shoot my officers for doing wrong, asks Natarajan - Sep 12, 2012
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- Probe against officials for illegal mining in Goa - Sep 03, 2012
- Jayanthi Natarajan to arrive in Goa amidst mining controversy - Sep 05, 2012
- Goa mining scam pegged at Rs.1,200 crore - Aug 27, 2011
- Goa temporarily suspends all mining operations - Sep 10, 2012
- Goa ore exporters do not want CBI to probe illegal mining - Oct 04, 2011
- (HOLD) Kamat was aware of illegal mining: Shah commission - Sep 08, 2012
- Nearly 50 percent of Goa mines working illegally: Mines ministry - Oct 28, 2011
- Parrikar dares Centre to find, shut illegal Goa ore mines - Sep 05, 2012
- Goa iron ore scam may have a golden lining: Congress spokesman - Sep 13, 2012