Ennore port container terminal foundation laidFebruary 28th, 2009 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 28 (IANS) The central government is determined to develop Ennore Port in Tamil Nadu as the country’s “eastern gateway port”, Minister for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways T.R. Baalu said here Saturday.
Speaking at the foundation stone-laying ceremony for the Rs.14.07-billion (Rs.1,407 crore) iron ore terminal project at the port, the minister said: “The terminal will have a continuous quay length of 1,000 metres and will have an area of 5 lakh (500,000) square metres.”
“It will have an alongside depth of 16 metres and will accommodate vessels of 14,500 TEUs (twenty equivalent foot units),” he added.
The annual capacity will be 1.5-million TEUs and it will be able to simultaneously handle three mainline vessels.
“The government has given the approval for development of the terminal on February 26 on build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis,” Balu said.
The development, operation and maintenance of the terminal would be done by a concessionaire to be selected through a global competitive bidding process. The revenue share offered will be the criteria for the selection of the concessionaire.
The project is expected to ne operational within 36 months from the the date the concession is awarded.
Tamil Nadu Electricity Minister Arcot N. Veeraswamy laid the foundation stone.
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- Kochi connected to China via weekly cargo vessel - Dec 19, 2011
- PM to open container terminal in Kerala - Feb 06, 2011
- Kochi now connected to Europe by ship - Nov 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu approves second phase of outer ring road - Jan 23, 2012
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Vallarpadam container terminal on February 11 - Feb 06, 2011
- Chennai Port capacity to be expanded with Rs.100 billion - Jan 19, 2011
- PM inaugurates mega transhipment terminal in Kerala - Feb 11, 2011
- Mega container terminal for Chennai port approved - Oct 12, 2010
- Japan to help in Yangon city upgrade plan - Aug 23, 2012
- Cabinet approves new quay at Visakhapatnam port - Nov 26, 2010
- Centre gives nod to three port projects worth over Rs. 2,000 crore - Jan 22, 2009
- Ennore Port's three new terminals go on stream - Jan 28, 2011
- Tamil Nadu power unit's early start hinges on port decision - Apr 08, 2012
- Japanese firms to increase investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 25, 2012