England upset Spain 1-0 in football friendlyNovember 13th, 2011 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 13 (IANS) A Frank Lampard goal in the 49th minute was enough to secure an upset 1-0 win for England over world and European champions Spain in an international football friendly late Saturday.
The usually sublime Spaniards struggled to match their elite billing as Lampard’s second-half goal condemned the visitors to just their second defeat in 10 matches.
Lampard’s winner came when the Chelsea midfielder headed in from close range after Darren Bent’s effort from a James Milner free-kick spun back off the post.
Lampard paid tribute to England’s team spirit but said the squad were keeping their feet on the floor.
“For everyone it is a lift, but we have to be realistic. We know they dominated the game for long periods,” Lampard was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“We won’t be shouting from the rooftops. We understand football.
“We are not quite where we want to be just yet, but to beat a side like Spain is something we can definitely build upon.”
It is the fourth time Spain have lost in a friendly since their World Cup triumph in 2010, following on from defeats against Italy, Portugal and Argentina.
However, Del Bosque denied his team had taken England lightly.
“I don’t think it is a case of us approaching these games in too relaxed a manner,” Del Bosque said. “We are not complacent.”
“Yes, we have had four defeats, but I don’t think we have taken any of these games lightly. You could see the intensity that the Spanish players competed with tonight. We played at 100 percent, at full pace.
“England only got near our goal with one chance from the free-kick. We dominated the game to a great degree.”
- Del Bosque expected tough fight from Georgia - Sep 12, 2012
- Del Bosque hails 'great era' of Spanish football - Jul 02, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Del Bosque defends players after tepid draw - Nov 16, 2011
- Del Bosque warns of Italian threat in Euro 2012 - Dec 03, 2011
- Spanish coach to stay on till 2014 Football World Cup - Sep 08, 2011
- Spain defeat China 1-0 in Euro 2012 warm-up - Jun 04, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Easy win for Spain against Saudi Arabia - Sep 08, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Germany crush England 4-1 for quarterfinal berth (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Valencia, Chelsea draw 1-1 in Champions League - Sep 29, 2011
- Spain still hopeful after being stunned by Swiss Second lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Olympic Football: Spain knocked out after loss to Honduras - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: chelsea, close range, del bosque, elite, european champions, frank lampard, free kick, intensity, international football, james milner, lampard goal, long periods, rooftops, second half, spaniards, spanish players, team spirit, time spain, world cup triumph, xinhua