England team arrives in Chennai amidst tight securityDecember 8th, 2008 - 11:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 8 (IANS) The England cricket team, led by skipper Kevin Pietersen, arrived here Monday evening in two batches from Abu Dhabi for the first of the two Test matches against India beginning here Thursday.The players were whisked into waiting vehicles that took them to their hotel in the city after officials of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association received them at the airport.
The England contingent had halted in Abu Dhabi en route to India while awaiting clearance from ECB security advisor Reg Dickason who visited Chennai to assess security arrangements before giving the go-ahead to travel to India.
England team is scheduled for a training session at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium Tuesday morning while Indian team will have their nets in the afternoon.
Both India and England teams are lodged at the Taj Connemara Hotel that is part of the group of hotels whose flagship the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai was one of the targets of last week’s terrorist attack.
The teams have been provided unprecedented security that has made the players virtually inaccessible even to the media.
England are scheduled to play two Tests - in Chennai (Dec 11-15) and Mohali (Dec 19-23).
However, there is speculation about a possible change of the second Test to Bangalore in view of Mohali’s geographical proximity to Pakistan.
A final decision on the venue would be taken after an assessment by Dickason.
- Dickason reaches Chandigarh, meets police officials - Dec 09, 2008
- Chennai Police expect England team to land on Monday - Dec 03, 2008
- Indian cricket team trains under security cover - Dec 08, 2008
- ECB gives nod to second cricket Test at Mohali - Dec 10, 2008
- PCA hopeful of hosting second Test against England - Dec 08, 2008
- ECB security expert arrives in Chennai - Dec 03, 2008
- Full strength England to arrive in Chennai; Mohali doubtful - Dec 08, 2008
- England board still expecting cricket players to quit India tour - Dec 04, 2008
- England security expert Dickason to visit Mohali Monday - Dec 05, 2008
- England's tour to India will be cleared Sunday (Lead) - Dec 04, 2008
- Security expert Dickason's business is booming following Qaeda threat - Feb 20, 2010
- England fly to Abu Dhabi Thursday en route to India - Dec 04, 2008
- Top England players might skip India tour: Cork - Dec 03, 2008
- BCCI hopeful that Test series will go ahead - Dec 03, 2008
- Rain hits England practice at Abu Dhabi - Dec 06, 2008