England qualify for Euro 2012, Portugal a step awayOctober 8th, 2011 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 8 (IANS) England drew with Montenegro 2-2 to qualify for the Euro 2012 Football finals while Portugal have a good chance of making to the main phase after their 5-3 win over Iceland in the qualifiers.
Ashley Young and Darren Bent gave England a 2-0 lead but Montenegro showed character to level the match in Podgorica. The hosts scored Elsad Zverotic at the stroke of half time and equalised with a last-minute strike from Andrija Delibasic. England’s star player was shown the red card in the 74th minute.
Portugal are knocking at the doors of qualification and will advance unless they lose to Denmark with more than four-goal deficit next Wednesday.
Their game home against Iceland was expected to be an easy affair but the visitors put up a fight.
Iceland started the game more aggressively and got four corners in the first eight minutes.
Against the flow of the game, Portugal scored. In the 12th minute, Eliseu crossed and Nani scored with a header. In the 20th minute, Nani intercepted a missed pass from Solvi Jonsson to the goalkeeper and scored again.
The first half ended with the Portuguese third goal in the 43rd minute when Helder Postiga received a pass in the box and sent the ball in.
It seemed that there was no possibility for a turn around. But in the 47th minute, Jonsson received inside the box and crossed with a header to Hallgrimu Jonasson, who scored. In the 67th minute, on a corner, the Portuguese defence did not manage to take the ball out of the box and Jonasson netted another goal.
Only after suffering the second goal, the Portuguese team put more speed in its game. In the 80th minute, in a fast move of the Portuguese left wing, midfielder Joao Moutinho scored the fourth goal. Eliseu scored the fifth goal in the 86th minute.
Iceland team managed to score again in injury time. Rolando tackled Bjarnasson in the box, resulting in a penalty converted by Sigurdsson.
Azerbaijan 1 (Nadirov 74), Austria 4 (Ivanschitz 34, Janko 52, 62, Junuzovic 90+1)
Turkey 1 (Balta 79), Germany 3 (Gomez 35, Mueller 66, Schweinsteiger 86-pen)
Belgium 4 (Simons 40-pen, Hazard 43, Kompany 49, Ogunjimi 84), Kazakhstan 1 (Nurdauletov 86-pen)
Armenia 4 (Pizzelli 28, Mkhitaryan 34, Kazaryan 69, Sarkisov 90+1), Macedonia 1 (Sikov 86)
At Zilina, Slovakia
Slovakia 0, Russia 1 (Dzagoev 70)
At Andorra la Vella
Andorra 0, Republic of Ireland 2 (Doyle 8, McGeady 20)
Serbia 1 (Ivanovic 26), Italy 1 (Marchisio 2)
Northern Ireland 1 (Davis 22), Estonia 2 (Vassiljev 77-pen, 84)
At Zenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Bosnia-Herzegovina 5 (Dzeko 12, Misimovic 15, 23-pen, Pjanic 37, Medunjanin 51), Luxembourg 0
Romania 2 (Mutu 19, 51-pen), Belarus 2 (Kornilenko 45, Dragun 82)
France 3 (Malouda 11, L. Rimy 38, Reveillere 67), Albania 0
Finland 1 (Toivio 73), Sweden 2 (S. Larsson 8, Olsson 52)
At Rotterdam, Netherlands
Netherlands 1 (Huntelaar 39), Moldova 0
Latvia 2 (Visnakovs 33, Rudnevs 83), Malta 0
At Piraeus, Greece
Greece 2 (Samaras 71, Gekas 79), Croatia 0
Wales 2 (Ramsey 60-pen, Bale 71), Switzerland 0
At Podgorica, Montenegro
Montenegro 2 (Zverotic 45, Delibasic 90+1), England 2 (A. Young 11, D. Bent 31)
At Nicosia Cyprus 1 (Avraam 45+1), Denmark 4 (Jacobsen 7, Rommedahl 11, 22, Krohn-Dehli 20)
At Porto, Portugal
Portugal 5 (Nani 13, 21 Helder Postiga 45, Joao Moutinho 81, Eliseu 87), Iceland 3 (Jonasson 48, 68, Sigurdsson 90+4-pen)
Czech Republic 0, Spain 2 (Mata 6, Xabi Alonso 22)
- Portugal, Ireland book Euro 2012 berth - Nov 16, 2011
- Euro 2012: Portugal steal 3-2 win over Danes - Jun 14, 2012
- Ronaldo heads Portugal into semifinal, downs Czechs - Jun 22, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Portugal's Postiga wants better service against Danes - Jun 13, 2012
- Portugal lose last friendly before the Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Champions League: Malaga beat Panathinaikos - Aug 23, 2012
- Football friendlies: Argentina beat Germany, Brazil thrash Sweden - Aug 16, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Germany's Gomez got lucky: Portugal coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Danes beats Portugal 2-1 to qualify for Euro 2012 Finals - Oct 12, 2011
- Euro 2012: Spain beat Portugal 4-2 on penalties, reach final - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: andrija delibasic, ashley, baku azerbaijan, doors, euro 2012, fifth goal, football finals, four corners, goalkeeper, good chance, hosts, injury time, jonasson, left wing, match, moutinho, portugal, results group, star player, stroke