England all-rounder Yardy close to winning battle against depressionApril 26th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 26 (IANS) England all-rounder Michael Yardy is close to making a comeback out of depression and is likely to return to first-team duties for Sussex.
Sussex head coach Mark Robinson said club captain Yardy, who returned early from England’s World Cup bid suffering from depression, is close to winning his battle against depression.
The 30-year-old is certain to miss the game against Lancashire, but could return to front line action at Hampshire next week.
“He is going well. Every week he has practised more. The first time he came in once and last week he came in three times and this week he was in every day, including Saturday, and so he is getting close,” Robinson was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph.
“I think this week will be too early. Whether he is in a situation to play the week after we will just have to wait and see. At the moment he hasn’t practised with the group but he is due to on Monday. We would love to have him back because he is a quality player and he gives character and backbone for a team that has that anyway but he has got experience and so we miss him, of course we do,” said Robinson
“But it is just like anybody being injured. You have to give them time to heal properly and what you don’t want to do is rush them back so that they have a recurrence of the injury. It’s the same for Yards. So we have just got to keep talking to him and keep giving him time. He is increasingly his workload and he is doing more and more as he feels stronger and more able to do it,” he added.
- Yardy to resume playing after winning battle against depression - Apr 26, 2011
- Collingwood says feels guilty over not gauging Yardy's 'depression' - Mar 28, 2011
- Yardy pulls out of World Cup quarter-final citing depression - Mar 24, 2011
- Sri Lanka respects 'depressed' Yardy's decision to pull out of World Cup: Jayawardene - Mar 25, 2011
- Yardy's depression leaves England with much to ponder - Mar 25, 2011
- Mental health charities furious with Boycott for comments on Yardy's depression - Mar 25, 2011
- Injury doubts linger over Edwards but Sammy upbeat - May 06, 2012
- England calls up hard hitters Lumb, Kieswetter for World 20-20 Cup - Apr 01, 2010
- Panesar defends his net session with Tendulkar - Jul 22, 2011
- Watson expecting 'white-wash' at England's hands - Jun 30, 2010
- Flintoff hopes to be back in action in next few weeks - Jul 21, 2010
- No retirement yet for Vishy Anand (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Warner will thrive under heavy workload - Jan 19, 2012
- Deonarine, Fudadin shine with 50s as visa wait continues - May 08, 2012
- We have to play smart cricket: Strauss - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,