Engineering student killed for having affairNovember 24th, 2011 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Rohtak (Haryana), Nov 24 (IANS) A 22-year-old engineering student was beaten to death by the family members of a girl he was having an affair with as they were opposed to the relationship, police said Thursday.
The victim, Deepak Sharma, had gone to meet the girl in Sanghi village of Rohtak district, 25 km from here, Wednesday.
“The uncle of the boy, in his complaint, said that the boy was beaten to death by the family of the girl. We have registered a case of murder against five people and have sent teams to nab the accused,” a police officer said here.
Those booked include the girl’s mother and two brothers.
In recent years, there have been several incidents of honour killings in Haryana, especially on the diktats of khap panchayats (community courts), who are opposed to men and women from the same community getting into wedlock.
- Haryana's killer khaps are a law unto themselves - Mar 30, 2010
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Khap leaders to seek review of apex court direction - Apr 24, 2011
- Haryana panchayat directs couple to annul marriage - May 18, 2010
- Khap leaders vow to defend honour killing convicts (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Jat leaders protest against government stand on Khap traditions - Jul 27, 2010
- Divisions among Khap leaders, another meeting called May 23 (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- What are khap panchayats? - May 11, 2010
- Honour killings Talibanisation of society: Women's groups - Jun 22, 2010
- Law tightens noose around Haryana's community courts (Lead) - Mar 29, 2010
- Law tightens noose around Haryana's community courts - Mar 29, 2010
- Five in Haryana get death penalty for honour killings (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Court orders death for five in Haryana honour killing (Fourth Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- UP Khap diktat outrages women politicians, activists (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Three arrested in Haryana for honour killing - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: community courts, diktats, engineering student, family members, haryana, having an affair, honour killings, men and women, old engineering, police officer, police said thursday, relationship, two brothers, wedlock