Engineering student brutally assaulted by seniorsApril 22nd, 2011 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh), April 22 (IANS) A first year engineering student was hospitalised after a brutal assault by four seniors as part of ragging at a government-run university campus here, police said Friday.
Jagjeevan, studying in B.Tech first year of mechanical engineering at the M.J.P. Rohilkhand University, was Thursday beaten by a group of four senior students of B. Tech third year of the same stream.
According to police, Jagjeevan in his complaint has alleged that the four seniors –Vivek Mathur, Sumit Kumar, Aseem and Himanshu — first directed him to perform awkward actions while singing a song.
After Jagjeevan refused, the seniors started kicking him and even attacked him with belts and stones.
“Jagjeevan has received injuries in his head. He is being treated at a hospital and is stated to be out of danger,” police inspector Netram Singh told reporters Friday in Bareilly, some 250 km from Lucknow.
“We have initiated a joint enquiry into the matter along with the varsity officials. Necessary action would be taken against the four students on completion of enquiry. All of them are absconding,” he added.
- Two engineering students held for vehicle thefts - Jan 13, 2011
- Student ragging, murder: Two varsity officials face case - Jul 02, 2012
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Girl student dies; father alleges ragging - Sep 10, 2011
- Varsity student assaulted, made to consume liquor - Sep 19, 2011
- Student thrashed by colleagues at private college - Sep 10, 2011
- CBI probe demanded into engineering fresher's death - Sep 12, 2011
- Fake degrees racket busted, three held - Sep 17, 2011
- Kanpur engineering student ragged, hospitalised - Aug 30, 2010
- Engineering student attempts suicide after ragging - Sep 07, 2010
- Aspiring engineer shot dead by two students - Dec 02, 2011
- Four Varanasi students arrested for ragging (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Student assaulted by seniors in Uttar Pradesh polytechnic - Nov 26, 2010
- Three engineering students expelled for ragging in Bihar - Dec 28, 2011
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: aseem, b tech, bareilly, belts, brutal assault, engineering student, enquiry, first year engineering, four students, himanshu, lucknow, mechanical engineering, police inspector, rohilkhand university, seniors, singing a song, sumit kumar, uttar pradesh