Engineering graduate held in credit card fraudAugust 6th, 2012 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 6 (IANS) An engineering graduate was arrested for defrauding a woman of nearly Rs.1.25 lakh in Odisha by hacking her credit card, police said Monday.
Saroj Kumar Tripathy, 26, a resident of Cuttack city, 26 km from here, was arrested from Bangalore city in Karnataka by sleuths of the crime branch of Odisha Police on the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim July 2.
Tripathy is a B-Tech (Bachelor of technology) graduate in electronics and telecommunications. He was using the credit card information for online adult chat, and shopping, Investigating Officer Akshay Nayak told IANS.
Of the total Rs.1.25 lakh, he defrauded in phases between April 13 and June 14, he spent Rs.94,000 on online adult chat. Besides, he had purchased a mobile phone and other electronics items, Nayak said.
“Conducting a swift and meticulous investigation for more than a month, we identified the accused and located him in Bangalore. With the assistance of Bangalore city police he was arrested late Saturday and brought to crime branch headquarters at Cuttack for further interrogation,” Nayak said.
Investigations are on to find out if he is a member of an organised gang of cyber criminals, the police officer added.
- Rs.16 crore credit card racket busted in Bangalore - Oct 28, 2011
- Two sisters arrested for defrauding Kolkata bank - Jul 01, 2012
- Man arrested for credit card fraud - Oct 24, 2010
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Police gun down five 'robbers' in Chennai (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- Delhi policemen arrested in UP for kidnapping engineer - Aug 08, 2012
- Nigerian arrested for credit card fraud in Noida - Jun 10, 2010
- Lottery scam: Five foreigners sent to judicial custody - Jul 17, 2012
- 'India on par with others in electronic warfare' - May 02, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- ATM card racket busted - Jan 13, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: adult chat, bachelor of technology, branch headquarters, city police, credit card fraud, credit card information, crime branch, cyber criminals, interrogation, investigations, june 14, karnataka, lakh, mobile phone, odisha, police officer, saroj, sleuths, technology graduate, telecommunications