Energy drinks can be dangerous, says studyJuly 18th, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) Caffeine-rich energy drinks pose dangerous health risks and may cause seizures, strokes or even death, a study carried by the NGO Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) said Monday.
The NGO’s Pollution Monitoring Lab conducted a survey from May to June which picked energy drinks randomly from markets across the country and tested their caffeine levels.
“Forty-four percent of them breached the caffeine limit of 145 ppm (parts per million) prescribed by the government,” the study said.
The study also claimed that caffeine is a psycho-stimulant and it could be doing irreparable harm to the body, which could lead to seizures, strokes or even death.
CSE’s deputy director Chandra Bhushan said: “These so-called energy drinks are being confused with sports drinks, as most of them marketed and projected in a such way. Gyms, bars and clubs across the country are dishing out these drinks to their clients, claiming major health benefits. But studies show that these drinks are not made to rehydrate and replenish the body.”
“Consumed during intense physical activity, they can lead to dehydration,” Bhushan added.
- Study blasts the idea of giving energy drinks to kids - May 31, 2011
- 'Dangerous' energy drinks 'can leave children hospitalised' - Feb 15, 2011
- Tests on energy drinks soon, BJP activists told - Jul 25, 2011
- Eat light, healthy food to stay cool this summer: Doctors - May 17, 2012
- Keep kids away from energy drinks - May 30, 2011
- Drinking tea daily 'as good as water in keeping you hydrated' - Mar 28, 2011
- Energy drinks don't blunt alcohol's effects: Study - Jan 13, 2011
- High caffeine energy 'shots' harmful for youngsters - Jun 03, 2010
- Teens, stay away from energy drinks - Jan 19, 2012
- Coffee lowers risk of dying - May 17, 2012
- Your popular snack could be making you ill: Study - Mar 30, 2012
- Energy drinks 'pose serious threat to kids' health' - Jul 27, 2010
- Nutraceuticals in energy drinks, foods - Mar 20, 2011
- Don't delay cleaner fuel norms for vehicles: CSE - Mar 31, 2010
- Mega-sized coffee, energy drinks 'laden with excess sugar, calories' - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: bhushan, chandra, cse, dangerous health, dehydration, deputy director, energy drinks, gyms, health benefits, health risks, intense physical activity, irreparable harm, major health, ngo, ppm parts per million, psycho stimulant, rich energy, seizures, sports drinks, strokes