Energy-consuming light bulbs to go out in Hong KongAugust 15th, 2011 - 10:03 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 15 (IANS) The Hong Kong administration proposes to phase out energy-inefficient incandescent light bulbs to conserve energy and reduce carbon emission.
The administration has launched a three-month public consultation on whether to restrict the sale of such light bulbs, taking into account replacement options for these bulbs, Xinhua reported.
Electrical and Mechanical Services Deputy Director Chan Fan said 90 percent of the electricity used to light an incandescent light bulb by heating its tungsten filament is lost as heat, and only 10 percent is used for lighting.
“Replacing incandescent light bulbs with more energy-efficient products will achieve substantial saving in electricity consumption,” he said.
People can save money on electricity bills and reduce greenhouse gas emission, he added.
The scheme is expected to save around 390 million Hong Kong dollars ($50 million) from electricity bills annually and reduce carbon emission by 273,000 tonnes.
- China to phase out incandescent lamps - Nov 04, 2011
- Compact fluorescent energy saving lamp 'better than incandescent bulbs' - Oct 23, 2010
- How developing countries can cut carbon emissions while helping the poor - Nov 26, 2010
- TN electricity board distributes electricity appliances to minimise power consumption - Dec 18, 2009
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to subsidise CFLs for consumers - Jun 13, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh could save 1,080 MW with CFLs: Official (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Energy saving light bulbs may be cancer causing - Apr 21, 2011
- Campaign to promote fluorescent lamps - Jul 07, 2011
- New low energy light bulb can help save the planet - Dec 13, 2009
- Karnataka mulls mandatory use of CFL bulbs - Feb 28, 2011
- Lights out for the traditional bulb in Britain - Jan 06, 2009
- Chandigarh to launch project to popularise CFLs - Feb 17, 2010
- Sujana to develop LED lighting products - May 27, 2010