Endeavour astronauts finish final spacewalk (Lead)November 25th, 2008 - 8:52 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 25 (Xinhua) Two US astronauts on space shuttle Endeavour Monday finished the mission’s fourth and final spacewalk to work on joints on the solar panels that power the International Space Station (ISS), according to NASA TV.Mission specialists Steve Bowen and Shane Kimbrough completed the cleaning and lube job on the station’s right-side solar array joint and replaced the final bearing of the 12 bearings for the massive gear.
This jammed joint has had limited use since September 2007. The repair work took all of the mission’s four spacewalks to complete. “Finally!” Bowen said about 2.5 hours into today’s spacewalk when they really wrapped up the tough task. “Thanks for your work,” NASA’s mission control radioed up, echoing with applause.
During the spacewalk, the duo also teamed up to remove a multi-layer insulation blanket from Japan’s Kibo laboratory. Bowen installed a GPS antenna atop Kibo.
Kimbrough then moved to the opposite end of the station’s truss to lubricate the left-side solar array joint as a preventative maintenance step. The left gear has been working fine, but the spacewalkers reported some slight wear on its surface.
After finishing all of the assigned tasks, they returned safely to the Quest airlock of the station at 7.31 p.m. EST (0031 GMT Tuesday).
Endeavour’s current mission is officially a 16-day mission that will also feature a Thanksgiving Day at the space outpost. It will undock with the station and leave for home on Nov 28.
- Astronauts use toothbrush to fix space station - Sep 06, 2012
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- ISS astronauts take second spacewalk - Sep 06, 2012
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- NASA sets space shuttle Endeavour's final launch for April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- US shuttle Atlantis lifts off for final journey - May 15, 2010
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- NASA sets launch date for space shuttle Discovery mission - Feb 24 - Feb 19, 2011
- Discovery crew completes first spacewalk successfully - Apr 09, 2010
- Space shuttle Endeavour headed home (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Endeavour astronauts begin last spacewalk - Nov 25, 2008
- Spacewalkers replace ISS solar panel batteries - Jul 25, 2009
- Sunita Williams completes spacewalk outside ISS - Aug 31, 2012
- Atlantis astronauts, in high spirits, work overtime - May 18, 2010