Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204June 19th, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 19 (IANS) Four more children died of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) Tuesday in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district, taking the death toll from the disease to 204 in the last one month, officials said.
Additional Secretary (Health) R.P. Ojha said that out of 527 children detected with AES symptoms, 204 have died till date. The rest have been discharged after treatment.
Ojha told reporters here that AES, a mosquito-borne disease, has claimed the lives of 141 children so far in Muzaffarpur district alone - the highest figure in the state. Most of these children died at the Sri Krishna Memorial College and Hospital and the Kejriwal Charitable Hospital.
As many as 48 children have died at the Patna Medical College Hospital (PMCH) and 11 at Gaya’s Anugrah Narain Medical College Hospital. Besides, two children each have died in Vaishali and Sitamarhi districts.
State health officials said they had identified 10 districts where the disease had spread. “In the last two days, the number of fresh cases of AES has reduced,” an official said.
The worst affected districts include Patna, Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Sitamarhi, East Champaran and Vaishali.
Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey asked the striking junior doctors of the PMCH to resume work.
“We have cancelled leaves of doctors in the all the affected districts and alerted hospitals to provide prompt treatment,” Choubey said.
“All medical colleges and hospitals have been directed to provide free medicines to patients having AES symptoms,” said Health Secretary Vayasji.
Bihar is yet to officially declare AES an epidemic, which is mostly killing children from poor families.
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Bihar: Suspected encephalitis kills six more - Sep 14, 2011
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- In encephalitis-hit Bihar, parents pray to god to save their kids - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: acute encephalitis, anugrah, ashwani, champaran, charitable hospital, free medicines, health minister, health secretary, junior doctors, killing children, medical college hospital, medical colleges, mosquito borne disease, muzaffarpur district, ojha, pmch, poor families, sri krishna, state health officials, vaishali