Employees’ strike paralyses government in Jammu and KashmirFebruary 16th, 2009 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 16 (IANS) Government employees in Jammu and Kashmir who went on a three-day strike beginning Monday have threatened to disrupt essential services if their demand for implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations was not met immediately.
Work remained paralysed in all state government offices across the state on the first day of the strike.
“We have waited too long. We were assured the implementation of the recommendations by the state governor during his rule in the state. However, because of the assembly elections they couldn’t be implemented,” an employees’ leader told IANS.
“If the state government doesn’t implement it from this month, we will disrupt the essential services that so far we had exempted from the strike,” he said.
“The National Conference-Congress government is playing dilly dallying tactics and they are trying to divide us. But we are united, and we will carry forward our agitation till the recommendations which have already been implemented in almost all the states are implemented here too.”
The state government says it has in principle accepted the employees’ demand, but is hamstrung by shortage of financial resources to implement the recommendations.
“We immediately need Rs.3,800 crore (Rs.38 billion) to square the arrear bill and Rs.1,800 crore (Rs.18 billion) annually. It is a huge amount that we have to manage. We are in talks with the central government for help,” state Finance Minister Abdul Rahim Rather said.
- 450,000 employees strike work in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 03, 2010
- Maharashtra government staff strike hits work - Nov 15, 2011
- Government employees strike work in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 10, 2009
- Jammu and Kashmir gets tough with striking employees (Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Manipur government employees' strike called off (Lead) - May 20, 2010
- Employees observe strike in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 10, 2009
- Manipur likely to invoke ESMA to break employees' strike - Feb 26, 2010
- Striking Meghalaya teachers call off agitation - Oct 19, 2010
- Government employees' strike enters third day in Kashmir - Mar 11, 2010
- Striking employees firm despite warning of action - Apr 25, 2010
- Teachers' strike affects 50,000 school children in Meghalaya - Oct 05, 2010
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Strike paralyses Jammu and Kashmir government offices (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Kashmir government employees strike work for second day - Jan 22, 2010
- Power bill waiver: Rs.3,900 crore arrears for Haryana - Feb 29, 2012