Employees’ march foiled in Srinagar, dozens arrestedJune 16th, 2012 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 16 (IANS) Police in Srinagar Saturday used water canon to disperse a protest march by state government employees and also arrested dozens of agitating employees.
Scores of protesting employees started a march towards Raj Bhavan in Srinagar. Police in full riot gear intercepted the marchers, using coloured water canon discharges to disperse them.
As the protesting employees kept on regrouping, the police arrested dozens of them and took them to the nearest police station.
The employees are demanding raising their retirement age from the present 58 years to 60, regularization of daily wage/ad hoc/contractual employees, and removal of anomalies in the pay structures.
The employees stayed away from their offices Saturday in provincial and district headquarters as part of their three-day protest programme to press for their demands.
A senior state government official said the employees’ strike call had partially affected the working of the government offices in the Kashmir Valley Saturday.
The state government is yet to take a final call on the employees’ demands while the employees claim the government signed an agreement with them Sept 15 last year, agreeing to fulfil their demands.
The government has said the employees must shun the agitational path as their demands are under its active consideration.
- Jammu and Kashmir employees' march foiled - Jun 14, 2012
- Striking government employees held in Srinagar - May 26, 2012
- Employees' strike cripples work in J&K; offices - May 24, 2012
- Water canons used on Kashmir employees, 24 held - Jun 13, 2012
- Government employees protest in Srinagar - Apr 10, 2012
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- J-K public transport employees protest, clash with police - Oct 29, 2009
- Police break up state employees' protest in Srinagar - Apr 17, 2012
- Police foil employees' march in Srinagar, scores detained - May 09, 2012
- J-K Government threatens to sack government employees - Apr 12, 2010
- Police baton charge agitating employees in Srinagar - Aug 12, 2009
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- J-K public transport employees protest, clash with police - Sep 29, 2009
- Employees' strike affects schools, offices in Kashmir - May 08, 2012
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: anomalies, canon, coloured water, contractual employees, discharges, district headquarters, dozens, final call, government offices, government official, kashmir, kashmir valley, police station, protest march, regularization, retirement age, riot gear, state government employees