Emotional Hasina lauds Indian role in 1971 warJanuary 12th, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 12 (IANS) It was an emotional moment for Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina here Thursday when she recollected how India, especially Tripura, had helped her country during the 1971 war of liberation.
“Lakhs of people took shelter in Tripura and other (Indian) states. People of these states not only gave refuge to Bangladeshis but helped by giving training and other logistical support to the liberation war,” said Hasina, who was here on a two-day official visit.
Deviating from her written text, she narrated how India, specially the central government and Tripura, extended allout help during the 1971 war which led to the emergence of Bangladesh.
Hasina said she was profoundly grateful to India and Indians.
“Through the nine months of our liberation war, the people of Tripura and India stood by our side by sharing their food, shelter and other basic necessities,” an emotional Hasina said, and lauded the role of the late Indira Gandhi, who was the Indian prime minister then.
“After my father’s (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman) assassination along with 18 family members Aug 15, 1975, I and my sister Sheikh Rehana took shelter in Tripura for several months,” Hasina said.
Speaking at the convocation ceremony of the Tripura Central University, where she received an honorary doctorate degree, and at a public gathering, the 64-year-old Bangladesh leader became emotional. She got a standing ovation and frequent rounds of applause at both places.
Over 60,000 men and women packed the Assam Rifles Ground here Thursday and were massed on both sides of the roads for a glimpse of the visiting prime minister.
Accompanied by an over 100-member delegation, including Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, several MPs and business leaders, Hasina was here on the visit that concluded Thursday.
- Bangladesh keen on joint ventures with India: Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Bangladesh PM in Tripura to revive historic, economic ties - Jan 11, 2012
- Retired Indian Army officer to get Bangladesh award - Jun 25, 2012
- Bangladesh to felicitate Indian defence officers - Mar 26, 2012
- We can't forget Indians' sacrifices for us: Bangladesh minister - Nov 11, 2010
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
- Bangladesh minister in India to boost trade with northeast - Nov 10, 2010
- Mujibur's hostel room now a museum - Feb 24, 2011
- Bangladesh FM arrives in Agartala to strengthen cross-border trade - Nov 10, 2010
- Tripura airport being upgraded for Hasina's visit - Jan 06, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee to visit Dhaka in May - Apr 01, 2012
- Security tightened along Tripura border ahead of Hasina's visit (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Security tightened along Agartala border ahead of Hasina visit - Jan 08, 2012
- Tagore anniversary: India, Bangladesh to have joint celebrations - May 05, 2011
Tags: assam rifles, basic necessities, business leaders, central government, convocation ceremony, emotional moment, food shelter, foreign minister, frequent rounds, honorary doctorate degree, indian prime minister, indian states, indira gandhi, lakhs, liberation war, logistical support, member delegation, minister sheikh hasina, rounds of applause, standing ovation