Eloped couple’s bodies found on railway trackJanuary 5th, 2011 - 1:19 am ICT by IANS
Jind (Haryana), Jan 4 (IANS) Bodies of a couple, who had gone missing from their respective homes here last month, were found on the railway track in this Haryana district Tuesday, police said.According to the police, the two were identified as Ishwar, 21, and Reena, 17, both residents of village Sajuma here. They were neighbours and had eloped from their house Dec 29.
“From the preliminary investigation, we have found that Ishwar and Reena were going around for the last few months, and they wanted to marry each other. But their families were against this decision as they were from the same gotra (sub-caste),” a police official said.
“It seemed that they have committed suicide, by jumping before a running train, as they were afraid of returning homes. They were identified from the names encrypted on their arms. We have also found Ishwar’s mobile phone from the spot. However, it is too early to reach on any conclusion and we are also probing the angle of honour killing,” he added.
Reena’s father Pappu had last month lodged a police complaint that Ishwar had abducted his daughter.
During the last year, many cases of honour killings, which included murders of boys and girls, have rocked various parts of Haryana.
- Couple found dead in Haryana, police suspect honour killing - Jul 04, 2010
- Couple found dead in Haryana, honour killing suspected (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Police suspect honour killing in Karnal girl's death - Jun 23, 2011
- Suspected honour killing: Couple found dead in Haryana - Jun 20, 2010
- Divisions among Khap leaders, another meeting called May 23 (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Khap leaders vow to defend honour killing convicts (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Couple axed to death in Punjab - Jan 10, 2011
- Khap mahapanchyat protests verdict in Haryana honour killing - Apr 13, 2010
- Haryana khap asks couple to end marriage, probe on - Apr 20, 2011
- No arrest yet in Haryana suspected honour killing - Jun 21, 2010
- Haryana honour killing: Man shoots brother-in-law - Nov 12, 2010
- Haryana Police hunt for four honour killing accused - Jun 23, 2010
- Jindal supports Haryana's caste councils - May 09, 2010
- Man booked for suspected honour killing of daughter - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Khap Mahapanchayat' threatens MPs, Delhi blockade - May 24, 2010
Tags: abducted, boys and girls, caste, conclusion, haryana, honour killings, ishwar, mobile phone, murders, neighbours, pappu, police complaint, police official, preliminary investigation, railway track, reena, suicide, train