Eleven bus passengers electrocuted in Madhya PradeshDecember 23rd, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Dec 23 (IANS) At least 11 people were electrocuted and another 20 injured Tuesday when a passenger bus in which they were travelling came in contact with a high voltage line in Madhya Pradesh’s Guna district, police said. “The incident occurred in the afternoon when one of the cycles kept on top of the jam-packed bus came in contact with a high voltage line. The current passed through the cycle to the bus, which caught fire within moments,” said the police.
The incident occurred about 20 to 25 km away from Ashok Nagar town from where the bus had started for Guna at about 2 p.m. The bus was jam-packed and some people were sitting with bicycles on the roof of the vehicle. Guna is about 210 km from Bhopal.
Some passers-by informed the police and two fire brigade tenders soon arrived at the spot to douse the flames.
The injured have been admitted to the district hospital.
Officials have so far confirmed 11 deaths. However, eyewitnesses put the figure of those killed at 20.
“Eleven persons are confirmed dead and the figure of those injured is yet to be estimated as the rescue operations are still on,” said district collector Gita Misra.